PDA

View Full Version : # of Clownfish and # Clownfish species in 95 gallon tank

awall
06/12/2014, 02:13 AM
Hi,

I just got my 95 gallon tank setup and my first marine addition to the aquarium is two saddle back clownfish that I added to the tank today.

I would also really like to add two bluestripe clownfish to the aquarium as well. Just wondering if this is possible and what peoples experiences with having more than two clownfish species in the same tank has been.

I've done a bit of reading and understand that often clownfish will not tolerate other clownfish species in the same tank and will become aggressive. However I've also come across a few posts or examples were people have kept more than one species in the same tank (not sure of the tank size however).

Just wondering if this is possible and a good idea or am I just asking for trouble.

Thanks for the insight.

maddmaxx
06/12/2014, 03:20 AM
most responses will be one species and one pair....

maddmaxx
06/12/2014, 03:22 AM
for multiple species to semi get along in a tank, there are two MAJOR requirements

1... long tank, like 8 feet long or bigger...6 foot tanks are to risky...

2... each pair of clowns have their own anemones on either side of the tank...

snorvich
06/12/2014, 04:23 AM

This.

snorvich
06/12/2014, 04:24 AM
for multiple species to semi get along in a tank, there are two MAJOR requirements

Again, I agree. I would also suggest that none of the clownfish be the super aggressive species.

SNAKEMANVET
06/12/2014, 06:48 AM
Sometimes a 8 foot tank isn't long enough,I tried.

inetmug
06/12/2014, 06:56 AM
What are the species in order of aggression?

I have heard that is you get them very young before sexually mature it can be done.

FishInABarrel
06/12/2014, 07:00 AM
I read on a website that you can keep different species of tank bred clowns together without much aggression. Does anyone have any experience with multiple tank bred pairs in a tank?

nogascans
06/12/2014, 07:03 AM
Yep. On the question of multiple pairs, especially in a 4-6 ft tank, been there, don't do it.

Inevitably one of the larger females will become dominant and that pair will find a way to kill the others. In my case, I had a pair of Ocellaris and Orange Skunks (Different species and body types), and both of the Ocellaris ended up jumping out from being chased.

Sincerely,

David

snorvich
06/12/2014, 08:15 AM
Sometimes a 8 foot tank isn't long enough,I tried.

Unfortunately, that is true. My friend with a 500 gallon tank could not get it to work, but he had a pair of the most aggressive clownfish as one of his pairs.

snorvich
06/12/2014, 08:16 AM
What are the species in order of aggression?

I have heard that is you get them very young before sexually mature it can be done.

No. Juveniles are not aggressive, but once they bond and mate as adults, all species are more aggressive, and some species will want to control 50 gallons of tank space.

snorvich
06/12/2014, 08:17 AM
I read on a website that you can keep different species of tank bred clowns together without much aggression. Does anyone have any experience with multiple tank bred pairs in a tank?

Sorry, but tank bred aggressive species are inherently aggressive.

Reel_Reef
06/12/2014, 10:47 AM

I have a 40 breeder and NO anemones in my tank, But I have a pair of true perc clowns and a pair of black ice clowns http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/13/y4azypeg.jpg

Sugar Magnolia
06/12/2014, 11:27 AM
I have a 40 breeder and NO anemones in my tank, But I have a pair of true perc clowns and a pair of black ice clowns http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/13/y4azypeg.jpg

How long have you had them together in the tank? Are either pair spawning regularly? Once a pair starts spawning all bets are off. You WILL lose a pair of clowns eventually. ;)

Edit, now that I see the picture you have very young clowns. It'll work for a while but as I said, once a pair forms a bond and become sexually mature, you'll end up losing the other two.

Reel_Reef
06/13/2014, 10:41 AM
How long have you had them together in the tank? Are either pair spawning regularly? Once a pair starts spawning all bets are off. You WILL lose a pair of clowns eventually. ;)

Edit, now that I see the picture you have very young clowns. It'll work for a while but as I said, once a pair forms a bond and become sexually mature, you'll end up losing the other two.

What characteristics of the fish determine age and how old do they have to be to reach sexual maturity? Ive had my first tank going for 3 months and after it cycled I put the first pair of tr percs in first and like two weeks later I introduced the pair of black ice. What will happen when they start fighting, will it be a slow torment or will the fish just randomly have a battle to the death one day?

thegrun
06/13/2014, 11:10 AM
It's like Grandma always said: "more than two clowns in a room is a problem"!

Cshabz
06/14/2014, 06:49 PM
I personally have a mating pair in my 32g, they're perc clowns and with my new 8ft I got a bonded maroon pair..
The girl of the maroon.. Wouldn't let my perc stay in the 8ft for a sec.. I tried the other way around initially with other fish in the tank and my perc hid the entire time.. The maroon is too big..
I can't even put corals around her anomene, she picks them up n throws them or blows sand on them.. When I try add anything even half way to the tank she'll attack my hand
She literally bites all over my hand.. I've got 5 different scabs ATM lol..

iamonlyme
06/14/2014, 09:39 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/15/utupy4ab.jpg
We have 3 pairs total
Snowflake
Platinum
True perc

shifty51008
06/14/2014, 10:02 PM

will not work out long term sorry to say, and also your true percs are actually ocy's not percs

shifty51008
06/14/2014, 10:04 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/15/utupy4ab.jpg
We have 3 pairs total
Snowflake
Platinum
True perc

nice pairs for the moment but be ready to re home 2 of the pairs later down the road

iamonlyme
06/14/2014, 10:19 PM
If need be we have another 75 and a biocube already going so we have homes just in case :)

SwampyBill
06/15/2014, 02:59 AM
I wish I had a nickel for every time someone brought up this topic...Why even risk it or try to push the envelope? These are animals lives we're dealing with. For every hobbyist able to keep multiple pairs in a tank longterm (2 yrs or more), there are at least 15 instances of a bloodbath. It can happen in an instant & it won't be pretty...

snorvich
06/15/2014, 04:58 AM
I wish I had a nickel for every time someone brought up this topic...Why even risk it or try to push the envelope? These are animals lives we're dealing with. For every hobbyist able to keep multiple pairs in a tank longterm (2 yrs or more), there are at least 15 instances of a bloodbath. It can happen in an instant & it won't be pretty...

This.