PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone give advise on how to replace the center brace on a 75 g tank?

richiero
06/12/2014, 07:52 AM
I want to replace the center brace with a acrylic brace so i don't get that dead spot in the middle of my tank. Anyone with experience with this or who has some good info/ pics / videos on this matter willing to help out would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

thegrun
06/12/2014, 08:40 AM
Is your intent to remove the center brace and add a eurobrace? Is the tank full of water or empty? Is the tank acrylic or glass? It can be done, but the process is different for each scenario.

andrewkw
06/12/2014, 08:48 AM
About 6 years ago I cut my center brace on my 112. I drained the tank about halfway (scary) cut it with a dremel or saw I can't remember. I then drilled 2 holes and edge of the center brace which I left and put my predrilled acrylic sheet on and attached via nylon screws and nuts. It's held till this day. Not a trace of bowing or other problems.

billdogg
06/12/2014, 11:39 AM
About 6 years ago I cut my center brace on my 112. I drained the tank about halfway (scary) cut it with a dremel or saw I can't remember. I then drilled 2 holes and edge of the center brace which I left and put my predrilled acrylic sheet on and attached via nylon screws and nuts. It's held till this day. Not a trace of bowing or other problems.

This is the very best way to pull it off. Use 1/4" acrylic.

richiero
06/12/2014, 12:10 PM
The tank is full and it is a glass tank i want to remove center brace and replace it with a acrylic brace to eliminate the shadow in the tank. I was looking at this but people were saying the design looks suspect http://************.com/2014/03/19/stupid-plastic-center-brace/

thank you for the help guys insert reef builders where it is blacked out.

richiero
06/12/2014, 02:14 PM
what methods can i use thegrun?

richiero
06/12/2014, 07:09 PM
bump

ca1ore
06/13/2014, 08:44 AM
Seems like a lot of work for minimal gain. Assuming a regular 75, the center brace is pretty narrow, particularly if you are using a line-source light.

sleepydoc
06/13/2014, 12:51 PM
+1 to ca1ore's comment. The problem with the design you linked to is that you have to get the length exactly right. If you're off by a couple mm it allows for a lot of extra bowing and strain on the tank.

richiero
06/15/2014, 08:10 AM
Ca1ore I just hate the constant shadow in the middle of the tank. Sleepydoc i am not using that designed i linked, i got some good advice on using 1/4 inch acrylic and nylon screws. I was hoping some people on the site had some good link with instruction or videos on how to do it. Thx for the advice

risin
06/16/2014, 12:41 PM
Use clear polycarbonate. It will not get the pressure cracks as acrylic will. However on a 48inch tank it may not matter. Furthermore, in addition to the nylon screws, poly carbonate or acrylic can be welded to the black polystyrene for some extra strength with weld-on 16.

richiero
06/16/2014, 09:53 PM
Risin where do i get polycarbonate and weld on 16? and i am only doing the center brace which is only 18 d x 3 w not 48".