PDA

View Full Version : Urgent!! Anenome food

luamada
06/14/2014, 02:04 PM
I was told that silverfish could be contaminated and poisen the anenomes. I was told that small portions of a seafood medley would be good to feed. I would like to do this but have concerns about the mixture. Is it cooked when bought? Do you feed the whole mixture or just the squid, octopus, and shrimp? Help my anenomes are hungry?

Aussieiniowa
06/14/2014, 02:17 PM
What anemone do you have and how big is it?

kiko81
06/14/2014, 02:27 PM
I feed my rose bubble anemone a piece of oyster twice a week and whatever he can get when I feed my fish. He is happy and growing. I heard horror stories about silversides. Never fed my anemone silversides.

DasCamel
06/14/2014, 02:37 PM
Raw not cooked, avoid any added ingredients. Preferably wild caught.

luamada
06/14/2014, 02:39 PM
Yes, no more silversides. This medley I just fed squid to both and the dedrphylia and they swallowed it up like candy. I think it will be ok!

sharkboy99999
06/14/2014, 02:40 PM
I feed dried krill with salcon and before that he eats pellets

SwampyBill
06/14/2014, 03:11 PM
Any of the raw seafood medley is fine. I've used it for at least 6 yrs never a problem. How's Tampa Bay these days? I lived in St. Pete for 8 yrs.

Reefahholic
06/14/2014, 10:47 PM
Yes, that's a good bag of food. Perfectly fine to feed. Cut up a few pieces at a time. Very small pieces.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/JaredJHarms/Mobile%20Uploads/BA19BBD4-DFB3-49FC-BD1B-556EE1755F26.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/JaredJHarms/media/Mobile%20Uploads/BA19BBD4-DFB3-49FC-BD1B-556EE1755F26.jpg.html)

luamada
06/15/2014, 11:05 AM
We fed them pieces of skid but the green one spit it out:/ we gave it some brine shrimp today to see. I still do not know what to feed it. The other one ate fine and looks good but the green one ....:(

ca1ore
06/15/2014, 01:17 PM
Carpets are photosynthetic, so assuming adequate lighting I'd not fret overly about target feeding.

SwampyBill
06/15/2014, 02:11 PM
How long have you had the carpet nem? If new, it may just be acclimating & not ready to eat yet. What lighting do you have?

igvm
06/15/2014, 07:26 PM
I feed my bta with mix of chopped shrimp from grocery store, Cyclopeeze and Reef Chili. I make a stick from the mix and freeze it, then cut slices from it.

atteb66
06/19/2014, 12:34 PM
I found if the pieces are to big they will spit them out. I have MIni Max and Rock Flower Anemones and make sure the pieces are small enough so maybe try it again with some smaller pieces and see how that goes.

I have a rescue Rock Flower a fellow reefer did not want and said it was shrinking away and it will not eat,its the size of a quarter. I got it on Sunday, Tuesday I gave it a tiny piece of raw scallop and it just sucked it up. So maybe try a tiny piece it should take it.

I have offered raw shrimp, raw scallop.

They are so much fun to feed, just love these types of anemones but all anemones are so very neat.

:fish2:

luamada
07/03/2014, 09:59 PM
Thank you guys. We fed it squid and it threw it up. Then we fed silver side again and it eat it. Then we fed some small shrimp (forgot their name) and it did not even take it. So back to the silver side.
I have a LED PRO. It is at 50% now and I a planing on raising it. It's been one month and I will add it to 60% lights. I have to learn to play with the lights but no time. My fiancé has been working on the lights. I have to read more about it. I guess I will try the raw shrimp. (Pieces). When the lights goes off the carpet does shrink to a scary size. But when the light is on she gets gorgeous. The other anemone is beautiful and when the lights goes off she closes up in a ball (not as bad as the carpet who just melt to the floors:-().
The clowns are hosting on the purple tip anemone. I love them there.
I will keep you posted. Thank you all:-))

luamada
07/03/2014, 10:01 PM
Just want to add a photo:)))

xrayjeeper83
07/03/2014, 10:45 PM
I dont feed any of my nems, they catch stuff out of the water column when I feed the tank. Have enough light and you'll be fine

luamada
08/16/2014, 12:56 PM
I am still strangling with my anemone. They both are not eating but maybe once per week. I don't know what to do. One went ten days with nothing. The green carpet inflates then melts everyday in the afternoon. The purple tip opens in the morning then closes up. The parameters are good with just nitrate 15 and phosphate 0.36(:(
I have bought the medley and the little shrimp but no luck:(. I am heading to the store to buy scallops. I moved one to under the light and it went back to the dark spot in the tank. Have done that twice and the something. She moves back to the dark spot. I don't know how to keep it on the light.
Any ideas??

OrionN
08/16/2014, 02:25 PM
You don't want to feed your anemone until you are sure that they are healthy and not infected. You should take your anemone out and treat him with antibiotic. Follow the direction in the sticky thread on thus forum. Multiple deflationary is an indication that he is infected.
Best of luck

luamada
08/16/2014, 03:54 PM
Are they supposed to be inflated everyday? do they shrink and how often do they shrink?
Is it possible that both anemones are sick? We got the purple one in March and the carpet on in May. They usually deflated often but they ate now they are not eating but once per week if we get lucky. What kind of disease are prone to anemones. Where can I find out more about it. Where would they have gotten the disease if it has one?

OrionN
08/16/2014, 05:53 PM
Healthy anemone doesn't deflates. They get a little smaller at night but does not go limb. if you had them since March and May, it is likely your tank's condition is not adequate for anemone. They don't need feeding and will not do well if over feed. An anemone is mostly water so their biomass is a whole lot less then they look. A huge anemone may have the biomass of a medium to small fish. I would not deed my 14 inches Gigantea anymore than 1-3 ml worth of frozen food once a week. Even with this feeding schedule they grow really fast. I don't target feed my anemone unless I want them to grow. They stays about the same size if I don't feed them. My tank water is very clean, nitrates and phosphates both 0. It is not necessary to feed them at all

luamada
08/17/2014, 12:57 PM
question for you all. i have a new tank with no rock that i started on 5/31/14 and now it reads amonia 0 nitrite0 nitrate 1. almost 0. but i have no gish in it or anything in it. i could put a LED light on it and move the anemones to it. should I do it?

SwampyBill
08/17/2014, 01:10 PM
Yes, transfer nems to the new tank & start on cipro treatment. The sticky for treatment info is at top of the page. Good luck!

atteb66
08/17/2014, 08:22 PM
I feed scallop and shrimp both raw, I only have the one Rock Flower Anemone now had to part with the others. Make sure the pieces are not to big, maybe try a smaller piece to see if it will take it. We don't have the seafood medley here where I live in Canada looked high and low in all the stores, so I am just feeding the scallops and shrimp and I also drop the odd pellets for the anemone to eat as well, eats everything just fine. I feed twice a week. Hope yours start eating soon keep us posted.

luamada
08/17/2014, 09:57 PM
I fed it today raw scallop and they both ate. the first time in a week that actually looked good today all day. we will see how they wake tomorrow. i am thinking about getting a ten gallon medication tank soon. i guess i will see how it goes tomorrow.
thank you all
lu

shesacharmer
08/18/2014, 01:57 PM
Twice a week is plenty often to feed and make sure the pieces are small or the animal cannot digest it before it begins to rot. They will choose the lighting they like best, you can't force them to a spot you think they need.

luamada
09/14/2014, 04:02 PM
I did the treatment with the cipro and it went well but the anemone still deflates sometimes... It still does not eat when I feed it and I am still not sure what to do with it... is it possible that the anemone just does not like the clown on it?? I think she does not like when the clowns are too ontop of it... but the clown loves it... what a dilemma..
It has become much smaller but since the treatment it looks good at least... but not growing as I wanted it to grow..
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a522/luamada/photo1_zps46ea9c6d.png (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/luamada/media/photo1_zps46ea9c6d.png.html)

atteb66
09/14/2014, 11:39 PM
The Anemone looks healthy and fine to me, maybe its just not hungry when you are trying to feed it and its getting enough food. Love your clowns too.

Have you ever noticed the clowns feeding it by any chance?

I once had a Maroon clown and an Anemone, every morning when I fed I noticed the clown would come and get some food and take it down and spit it into the anemone. So I though I wonder what it would do if I put a small piece of raw shrimp in there if it would feet it and by dam that clown came, took the piece of shrimp right down to the anemone and fed it then came back to eat its own food, it was such a neat thing to watch I just loved watching the relationship between the two so very cool.

Just see if yours are feeding it at all, or maybe just try and offer it food once a week. Another thing is clowns are thieves too and will steel the food from the anemone as well.

See what others say but it looks fine to me, clowns always annoy anemones.

BlueViper
09/15/2014, 09:20 AM
That is funny, my clowns do the opposite, they will take brine/mysis from their nems. I will feed the fish and then break off small pieces of frozen food for the nems. Using hemostats, I place the food next to the nems and they grab it with their tenticles. The clowns will come rushing in and swat the food with their tails to try and get it loose from the nem. They succeed in breaking the food free about 25% of the time, and then gorge on it themselves. What a bunch of pigs!

disman_ca
09/15/2014, 07:45 PM
Your nem looks healthy. My clown fed my bta although I didn't really notice him doing it. I went to my lfs to see about another clown and got taking with one of the staff. He suggested that my clown might grab a new small fish if I added it. He suggested I go home and try a piece of raw shrimp to see. To my surprise I dropped the shrimp in and the clown immediately garbed the raw shrimp and put it on the bta.

luamada
09/15/2014, 07:48 PM
it is not eating. i have tried all kind of food:(

luamada
09/15/2014, 08:44 PM
i did see once when i put a peace of scallop and the shrimp took it and the clown went and took it from the shrimp and droped it back in the anemone... i thought it was a coincidence. i did not know they did that... hopefully he is feeding her. she does not look good sometimes and sometimes she looks great. in one day she has many looks. what a bummer.

disman_ca
09/16/2014, 03:05 PM
Well hopefully it is well. They can be *****y as it relates to their environment. Make sure you are offering stable parameters and quality water and adequate lighting. Anemones are not easy keep.