PDA

View Full Version : Gfi keeps poppen

Jetersyanks
06/14/2014, 03:44 PM
I came home from work realized my tank wasn't on ... I had some water sprinkle over by my wires due to my new filter socks ... So I dried everything even replaced the surge protector now no matter what it keeps poppen please help

bnumair
06/14/2014, 06:00 PM
cheack for cracked heater. if thats not the issue then unplug all devices and plug them in 1 by 1 till gfi pops. that last device is the culprit.
i would check heater first then power heads and then the 1 by 1 method.

Jetersyanks
06/14/2014, 06:59 PM
Ok thank you very much .., I'm going nuts over here

JMorris271
06/14/2014, 09:07 PM
Did you find out what was blowing your GF?

m0nkie
06/14/2014, 09:23 PM
Did you find out what was blowing your GF?

read that as did you find out who was blowing your gf.. lol

Sk8r
06/14/2014, 09:36 PM
It's also possible it just hasn't dried out yet. If it's still popping after 24 hours, then there's a short somewhere.

Crooked Reef
06/14/2014, 10:22 PM
I assume you mean an actual GFCI wall outlet? It is possible that there is a problem with that as well. I had the one in my kitchen fail at one point and had to replace it. I would try everything that everyone else suggested and if it doesnt fix it switch the wall outlet out. You could also try flipping the breaker to the tank off and back on and seeing if that will help the GFCI stay reset though I dont really know why it would. It worked for the one in my kitchen for a few weeks before it started again. It may give you some time to replace the outlet if needed.

Despairodyne
06/15/2014, 11:05 AM
I've found that older outlets are more prone to nuisance tripping. The new ones are
pretty good in that respect. I had older ones that started acting up after about 18 years.
Now I just replace them every few years as a matter of course.

In general, I always assume that there is an intermittent fault in a device rather than
a bad GFCI. Especially if it's tripping a GFCI breaker. I hate intermittent faults.

JMorris271
06/15/2014, 12:09 PM
Rule number one when troubleshooting, Check the easy stuff first.