PDA

View Full Version : New tank starting 2 part

Dbondaruk
06/15/2014, 05:40 AM
Hello guys, I'm starting to dose 2 part on my 190!gallon aquarium. Right now it is lightly stocked, mainly sps. 2 softies. I'm using bulk reef supply sodium bicardinate and calcium from bulk reef.
Here is my ph story. It's on my apex. During the day it gets up to 8.15 and during the night it drops to 7.80. That's a .35 sway should I be worried? Also I seen that sodium bicardinate lowers ph so I should dose during the day not the night. For starting dose I was going to. Start with 40 ml each a day. Let me know if that sounds to high.

Also been doing some research on how to get my brs dosing pumps set up on my apex.

Set on
000/004:00/046:00 then off
If time 20:00 to 9:00 then off
If ph below 7.7 then off

By this code my doser should run 4 minutes every hour and be off from 8 pm to 9 am
Let me know if I did this right on the apex thnx

GainesvilleReef
06/15/2014, 07:41 AM
Adding the alk should raise the ph. So the statement

If ph below 7.7 then off

is not necessary. It would be better to shut off if it is too high.

If ph > 8.5 then off.

Also, since the alk will raise the ph it is better to do it at night and not during the day. And dose smaller amounts more often and independently to reduce precipitation. Assuming you are using the BRS dosing pumps at 1.1 ml/minute, the following will give you 40 ml per day. I would recommend started out at 1/4 the dose you think you need and check parameters once a week. Then ramp up on a weekly basis.

Cal Outlet

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/001:00/014:00 Then ON
If Time 08:00 to 22:59 Then OFF
If RpH > 8.50 Then OFF

Alk Outlet
Fallback OFF
OSC 005:00/001:00/009:00 Then ON
If Time 08:00 to 22:59 Then OFF
If RpH > 8.50 Then OFF

GainesvilleReef
06/15/2014, 07:46 AM
Also, the statements

Set on

Will run the pumps for 46 minutes and overdose.

Also you should have a Fallback OFF on all dosing pumps.

dkeller_nc
06/15/2014, 07:47 AM
Dbondaruk - One warning about this if you don't know it already; the BRS dosing pumps must be plugged into outlets 4 and 8 of an Energy Bar 8, otherwise they may not turn off properly, which will lead to a massive overdose of your tank. If you're using an Energy Bar 4, any outlet is OK.

GainesvilleReef
06/15/2014, 07:59 AM
Dbondaruk - One warning about this if you don't know it already; the BRS dosing pumps must be plugged into outlets 4 and 8 of an Energy Bar 8, otherwise they may not turn off properly, which will lead to a massive overdose of your tank. If you're using an Energy Bar 4, any outlet is OK.

Yes, I was just about to add third post about this. This is very important. The pumps are low power and need to be controlled by the relays on those outlets. The other outlets are electronic.

Dbondaruk
06/15/2014, 09:01 AM
Tnx for the inputs guys. Yes I am using outlet 4 and 8. On the brs calculate it days that sodium bicarbonate solution will slight lower the ph....I don't know what my dosage will be I just am going off couple other treads and usage amount. I want to start low and work up slowly.

Dbondaruk
06/15/2014, 09:09 AM
Also, the statements

Set on

Will run the pumps for 46 minutes and overdose.

Also you should have a Fallback OFF on all dosing pumps.

I thought this would run the pump for 4 minutes every hour

Dbondaruk
06/15/2014, 11:41 AM
Ok here's what I have now.

Fallback OFF
Osc 000:00/003:00/057:00 then on
If time 21:00 to 10:59 then off

Correct me please, does this mean it will dose 3 min every hour for 10 hrs in a day. Total of 30ml

hilgert
06/15/2014, 07:12 PM
Ok here's what I have now.

Fallback OFF
Osc 000:00/003:00/057:00 then on
If time 21:00 to 10:59 then off

Correct me please, does this mean it will dose 3 min every hour for 10 hrs in a day. Total of 30ml

That's what it says to me...on 3 minutes at the top of each hour, except for the hours between 21:00 and 10:59.

I recommend adding a "Set OFF" on the next line after the "Fallback OFF". "Fallback OFF" instructs the outlet to remain in the OFF condition on a loss of communication with the Apex control unit. "Set OFF" instructs the Apex to start in the off condition when evaluating instructions that follow. Think of it as a default condition. It will work fine as you have it now, but I like adding the "Set OFF" just for clarity if nothing else.

So, if you added the "Set OFF" it would now be (again, just my recommendation):

Fallback OFF
- Outlet will fallback to OFF in case of loss of communication with controller
Set OFF
- Start with OFF unless an instruction that follows directs otherwise
OSC 000:00/003:00/057:00 then ON
- Wait until top of each hour and stay OFF for 0 minutes, then turn ON for 3 minutes, then turn OFF for 57 minutes, then repeat; the ON (or OFF) at the end controls the middle time
IF Time 21:00 to 10:59 Then OFF
- No matter what, turn OFF if between 21:00 and 10:59

Not sure if you are "Apex savvy", so I'll point out that (with two exceptions that don't apply here) outlet instructions are evaluated in order. So, if you switched the last two instructions then the final OSC command "wins out" over the IF command, and the pump will run for 3 minutes at the top of each of the 24 hours in a day. So the order they are in now is the order you want (for the effect you want...no-dose for 14 hours/day).

Have you read the Apex Comprehensive-Reference-Manual (http://www.neptunesystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Comprehensive-Reference-Manual-.pdf)? If not, it's a good read, and there is a lot of help available in the Neptune Systems (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368) forum here on Reef Central.

Dbondaruk
06/16/2014, 05:24 AM
That's what it says to me...on 3 minutes at the top of each hour, except for the hours between 21:00 and 10:59.

I recommend adding a "Set OFF" on the next line after the "Fallback OFF". "Fallback OFF" instructs the outlet to remain in the OFF condition on a loss of communication with the Apex control unit. "Set OFF" instructs the Apex to start in the off condition when evaluating instructions that follow. Think of it as a default condition. It will work fine as you have it now, but I like adding the "Set OFF" just for clarity if nothing else.

So, if you added the "Set OFF" it would now be (again, just my recommendation):

Fallback OFF
- Outlet will fallback to OFF in case of loss of communication with controller
Set OFF
- Start with OFF unless an instruction that follows directs otherwise
OSC 000:00/003:00/057:00 then ON
- Wait until top of each hour and stay OFF for 0 minutes, then turn ON for 3 minutes, then turn OFF for 57 minutes, then repeat; the ON (or OFF) at the end controls the middle time
IF Time 21:00 to 10:59 Then OFF
- No matter what, turn OFF if between 21:00 and 10:59

Not sure if you are "Apex savvy", so I'll point out that (with two exceptions that don't apply here) outlet instructions are evaluated in order. So, if you switched the last two instructions then the final OSC command "wins out" over the IF command, and the pump will run for 3 minutes at the top of each of the 24 hours in a day. So the order they are in now is the order you want (for the effect you want...no-dose for 14 hours/day).

Have you read the Apex Comprehensive-Reference-Manual (http://www.neptunesystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Comprehensive-Reference-Manual-.pdf)? If not, it's a good read, and there is a lot of help available in the Neptune Systems (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368) forum here on Reef Central.

Thanks a lot for the help I will change it.