PDA

View Full Version : anthias and pellet food

mfinn
06/15/2014, 09:36 AM
Just got 5 lyretail anthias and they are in a qt tank.
I was wondering what everyone that feeds their lyretails and if you use pellets what brand did you have success with?

OrionN
06/15/2014, 09:59 AM
Mine would not eat anything but frozen food. I got 6 in a 320 gal tank. I think some of the other anthias species will eventually eat dry food, but not Lyetail. I was going to use a automatic feeder to feed them multiple times per day but fortunately they do well with just 2 feeding per day.

Rea17
06/15/2014, 10:06 AM
Hey there. My lyretails love the .5mm NLS pellets, but it took some time to get them to accept those. I still incorporate a lot of frozen because I was experiencing washed out colors with the pellets making up too much of their diet.

tonymission
06/15/2014, 10:14 AM
My barletts and borbonius obviously love frozen but they also go nuts with those Neptune branded pellets from reef nutrition. Everyone loves them really. I'd say my tank is 50/50 on NLS pellets strangely enough.

GT350pwns
06/15/2014, 10:20 AM
My Bartlett's goes nuts for NLS pellets and frozen. Think I'm lucky in the aspect that all my fish are garbage disposals lol

mfinn
06/15/2014, 10:23 AM
My lfs told me to try APBreed TDO Chroma Boost.

I also have been using Hikari Marine S for my other fish before I got the athias.

Rea17
06/15/2014, 10:26 AM
Are you having trouble getting them eating in general or are you just wanting to wean them onto dry food?

mfinn
06/15/2014, 10:40 AM
No, I just got them 2 days ago and am looking for a pellet food I can use in a auto feeder, later down the line.
They are eating aggressively.
So far cyclop-eeze, tigger pods artic pods, and frozen brine have worked.
Tried some frozen Hikari mysis last night, but I think it was a little large.
I use to buy the mysis cubes for my pipefish, but that's a little expensive in the long term, so I bought the big flat pack. They were suppose to be the same size as the ones in the cube pack, but I don't know.

OrionN
06/15/2014, 11:04 AM
I order the Hikari mysis 1 lb flat pack and Ocean Planton flat pack also. IME (of one order 4 packs each) the Hikari mysis are smaller than the normal Hikari mysis in the normal cube and smaller than the Ocean Plankton. I got a group of reefers here in Corpus to pool together and go a large order so the over night shipping does not bite us. My fish really love both but the smaller mysis is really good for some of my smaller fish. I like Hikari food because I find that they are much cleaner and I don't have to rinse them before feeding.

Rea17
06/15/2014, 11:18 AM
My hikari mysis is also relatively small, but mysis isn't as soft as brine so you may need to chop it for them at first. It's pretty easy to do while frozen.

For the pellets, go with the smallest you can find. Even if they don't take to it right off the bat, lyretails do well on 2 frozen feedings per day so it wouldn't be the end of the world (assuming that works with your work schedule).

mfinn
06/15/2014, 12:16 PM
I just retired so at this point in my life my schedule is wide open.
That's why I decided to try some fish that do require a little more attention.
But want to get them eating a pellet food that can be used with a auto feeder.

ca1ore
06/15/2014, 12:31 PM
I have kept lots of different kinds of anthias, and they are hit or miss with pellets. My Bartletts pretty much eat anything (probably explaining why they are the easiest to keep); purple queens I tried years ago ate nothing. All the others are somewhere in between. I have kept Lyretails mainly times. Some would eat pellets, but more would not. I currently have five bimacs and so far they will only eat frozen.

falconut
06/15/2014, 06:56 PM
My current Male Yellow Breasted Lyretail Anthias loves Hikari S pellets, he also gets frozen mysis & brine. Other Lyretails I've had over the years ate them too, jsut took a while to get them to eat pellets. My current Male took to them right away. Keep trying smaller pellets and they'll probably eat them eventually. Good Luck

kmbyrnes
06/17/2014, 12:22 PM
I have 3 lyretails.
The all eat everything that drops in the water.
I feed formula 1 and formula 2 small pellets

mfinn
06/17/2014, 05:41 PM
Well the 5 I bought is down to 4. Lost one the 2nd day. LA promptly did a refund.
One thing I see they really go for is R.O.E.