PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify my Clam..

Nalchadz
06/15/2014, 08:08 PM
Hello, I just got a new clam as a gift from my brother who doesn't know the name of it. Can someone please identify this clam for me so that I can do some research on how to take care of it. Any extra information will be greatly appreciated. The only information my brother was able to get from the Fish Store is that it need A LOT of light. I believe my lighting should be sufficient enough. I have Rapid LED's Aurora puck and during purchase, he had informed me that I could keep anything with these lights. Including clams.

I have a 29 Gallon BioCube, purchased and upgraded my Lighting to LED's from RapidLED, upgraded my filtration system from stock to inTanks Media basket, added a Tunze 9002 protein skimmer, added a phosphate reactor, added 2 x Hydor Koralia power heads, and upgraded to the MJ 1200 pump.

Thanks,

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=9204&pictureid=63523

criticalencore
06/15/2014, 08:25 PM
Maxima I think but may be a squamosa. Maxima have black dots around the edge of the mantle and squamosa don't I believe. Also I think maxima because how close the shoots coming off the shell are. Either way both require good lighting which if you got the 29g retro from rapidled you should be ok. Maximas usually like their foot on a rock because they bore into it. Get a small flat rock and bury in the sand if you want to keep it there. How long would you say the claim is?

Nalchadz
06/15/2014, 08:29 PM
Maxima I think but may be a squamosa. Maxima have black dots around the edge of the mantle and squamosa don't I believe. Also I think maxima because how close the shoots coming off the shell are. Either way both require good lighting which if you got the 29g retro from rapidled you should be ok. Maximas usually like their foot on a rock because they bore into it. Get a small flat rock and bury in the sand if you want to keep it there. How long would you say the claim is?

Thanks for the reply. I would say it's about 5 - 6 inches

criticalencore
06/15/2014, 08:33 PM
You should be in good shape then. Under 3" they say they need feeding not just good light. I'm not 100% sure on my ID so maybe someone with more expertise will chime in. Either way though it's the same basic care for both

Nalchadz
06/15/2014, 08:35 PM
The clam has 3 pieces of different size rocks under it. I can't get it to stay upright off the sand.

ca1ore
06/15/2014, 08:43 PM
Maxima I think but may be a squamosa.

It's a Maxima! The need for supplemental feeding when small has largely been debunked. Give it plenty of light, keep some nitrate and phosphate by feeding your fish well, and keep an eye out for new growth (the lack of which is a sign that all is not well).

Nalchadz
06/15/2014, 08:48 PM
It's a Maxima! The need for supplemental feeding when small has largely been debunked. Give it plenty of light, keep some nitrate and phosphate by feeding your fish well, and keep an eye out for new growth (the lack of which is a sign that all is not well).

Can you please explain what "keep an eye out for new growth" means? Thanks! Also, how can you tell that it's a Maxima?

ca1ore
06/15/2014, 08:59 PM
Well, it looks just like a Maxima :lol: Small scutes (the ridges on the shell), shape of mantle, coloration of mantle and the 'bumps' on the mantle - all clear traits of a Maxima.

A healthy clam should grow by laying down new shell material. Initially this material is bright white, before it has a chance to get discolored by algae. You should be able to see it as either a white line at the very top edge of the shell, or as new scutes forming. Don't panic if you don't see anything right away, but over time you should. Absence of this means the clam is either not getting the nutrition it needs or there is insufficient alkalinity and calcium in your water. Either will eventually kill the clam.

Nalchadz
06/15/2014, 09:04 PM
Well, it looks just like a Maxima :lol: Small scutes (the ridges on the shell), shape of mantle, coloration of mantle and the 'bumps' on the mantle - all clear traits of a Maxima.

A healthy clam should grow by laying down new shell material. Initially this material is bright white, before it has a chance to get discolored by algae. You should be able to see it as either a white line at the very top edge of the shell, or as new scutes forming. Don't panic if you don't see anything right away, but over time you should. Absence of this means the clam is either not getting the nutrition it needs or there is insufficient alkalinity and calcium in your water. Either will eventually kill the clam.

Thank you! I will go and do much more research. I don't think I was ready for a clam yet, I had not done all my research but I was talking to my brother about how pretty they are and he surprised me. So I am trying to get as much information as quickly as possible.

Nalchadz
06/15/2014, 09:13 PM
I just noticed this gap, is this okay for a maxima?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=9204&pictureid=63524

triggreef
06/15/2014, 09:19 PM
There should be a hole on either end but both are shaped different. One is an intake and one is exhaust, as it filter feeds.

Thats looks nice and healthy btw, see the nice white new shell material just outside of your circle?

Nalchadz
06/15/2014, 09:23 PM
There should be a hole on either end but both are shaped different. One is an intake and one is exhaust, as it filter feeds.

Thats looks nice and healthy btw, see the nice white new shell material just outside of your circle?

The nice new shell is what I went to check for when I saw the hole :). Thanks, for all the info. I see images of other clams opening up a lot more then my guy. Is that okay? I've had mine for about 2 days now and this is the most ive seen it open it's shell. It does go in and out of the shell a lot but it doesn't open the shell much more then what's in the picture.

ca1ore
06/15/2014, 09:34 PM
About the only thing that would concern me is that the mantle should extend beyond the edge of the shell along its full length. That it doesn't may simply be it acclimating to a new tank, or that in a prior spot it was getting irritated by some neighbor (or a fish). Give it a chance to settle down, and post a picture in a few days.

FWIW, clams can be a bit twitchy, and I've had then die suddenly for no apparent reason.

Nalchadz
06/15/2014, 09:45 PM
About the only thing that would concern me is that the mantle should extend beyond the edge of the shell along its full length. That it doesn't may simply be it acclimating to a new tank, or that in a prior spot it was getting irritated by some neighbor (or a fish). Give it a chance to settle down, and post a picture in a few days.

FWIW, clams can be a bit twitchy, and I've had then die suddenly for no apparent reason.

It does extend beyond the edge just not the way iv'e seen them extended in some of the google images.

ca1ore
06/15/2014, 10:10 PM
Well, different species extend their mantles to differing degrees, and I'd not trust most internet images to properly ID the clam. Maxima and Deresa tend to extend less while Squamosa and Crocea extend more. You can check out my clam thread on the Connecticut Reef Club site here on RC for some reliable IDs.

Nalchadz
06/15/2014, 10:13 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out right now.

ca1ore
06/16/2014, 08:22 AM
It's this one .....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2412680

Also, lots of pictures in this sun-forum also, most with correct IDs