PDA

View Full Version : Skimming/Filtration for a 10g

illumnae
06/17/2014, 02:28 AM
Hi all, I'm converting my office freshwater tank into a marine tank. The tank is an optiglass tank the same dimensions as an ADA 45P (18" x 10.5" x 12"). As I hope to be able to keep SPS in this tank, I want to mantain an ULNS environment. Unfortunately, my office area doesn't permit me to run an overflow/sump system and given that I'm not in office over the weekend and on holidays, I can't dose complex systems like Polyplab reef resh or zeovit. I'm pretty much limited in my options.

The back of the tank already has black sticker stuck on, so things behind the tank can be hidden. I was thinking of which of the following setups would be good to achieve a low nutrient system good enough for SPS. The water change regime would be 15% weekly or once every 2 weeks, depending on the results of the setup chosen.

1. Hang on Back filter with BioSpheres and PO4 remover in filter bags only
2. Bubble Magus Q3 skimmer only
3. Both the HoB and the skimmer

Option 3 seems the most foolproof, and there is space along the 18" back wall of the tank to hold both HOBs, but unless the scape hides both pieces of equipment well, it has the potential to look really ugly.

I've read that skimmers aren't rally needed in such nano/pico tanks, but given the desire for an ULNS, does this still hold true?

Just for further information, my light is a Maxspect Razor Nano 60W hung above the tank (adjustable height) - I still need to change the LED pad from the 8000K planted pad to the 16000K marine pad - and flow will be provided via a Jebao WP-10. If I go with Option 3, I intend to place the HoB and skimmer such that the outlet of the HoB is next to the inlet of the skimmer, so that the skimmer can skim out the dead bacteria (if any) from the biospheres.

I will likely use dead rock (perhaps Aquaroche ceramic designer rocks) for the scape, and will dose several brands of bacteria to seed the tank.

Appreciate your advice on which equipment to use for my tank!

Mac4
06/17/2014, 12:39 PM
I have a bigger tank, a new version of the 34g Solana cube. I have to make my own internal overflow because i did not want a sump. I have an Aqua Clear HOB filter with Carbon and Phosph remover. I also have a bag of Seachem Purigen in my over flow. I do water changes 5g every 10 days. Seems to work ok. I just wish I would have made my internal over flow larger.
I would go with the filter HOB and no skimmer. Just stay up on water changes.