PDA

View Full Version : QT for a paired goby and pistol shrimp

archangel91
06/17/2014, 12:39 PM
I'm looking to add 1 last fish, and have been looking at a few different gobies that will pair with pistol shrimp, and I happened to come across Hi Fin Red Banded Goby already paired with a pistol shrimp at one of the LFS in town that I am considering buying, but am unsure if it would be ok to split the pair up during QT.

My plan for the QT is:

For the goby, put him through Tank Transfer using 2 5gal tanks and then place him in a cycled 10gal QT for observation and prazipro.

For the pistol shrimp, place him in a 2nd QT that I recently added to QT corals and inverts for 12 weeks (been QTing all non-fish in fallow QT for 12 weeks to prevent ich... a bit anal but had a bad outbreak when I first started and really want to keep ich from getting back into the tank).

At the end of the 12 week in fallow tank for the pistol shrimp, I would introduce him into the fish QT for the pair to hopfully re-establish before introducing to the DT.

For both QT tanks I would place a small tupperware container of sand for them to burrow in.

Would splitting up a pair like this cause issues for either of them? Would it be fair to assume that following QT they should pair back up again rather quickly?

kendrid
06/17/2014, 12:41 PM
I bet they will pair back up. I have a watchman and pistol shrimp that were purchased separately and they paired up quickly.

snorvich
06/17/2014, 02:02 PM
I bet they will pair back up. I have a watchman and pistol shrimp that were purchased separately and they paired up quickly.

Exactly.