PDA

View Full Version : MP40 wet frame cracked

Ermin
06/17/2014, 02:27 PM
I have many MP40 and MP10 running in my tanks for over 5 years....so I'm not new to the great pumps. But within the last year, I find the wet frame cracked twice on my MP40.

It is cracked around the center hole. The ceramics bearing and washers are all fine. The crack made the center screw rotate off center and caused the magnet to scratch with the wet frame cover. Then the unit locks up. After the lock up, and opening it for cleaning is when I find out the wet frame has cracked.

I called EcoTech support regarding this issue. I was told that maybe the pin spacer was adjusted to be too close and the excess strength of the magnet broke the wet frame over time. I have not adjusted the pin spacer recently. It was the same setup for the first four years without problem, until last year.

Doesn't anyone have similar experience with the wet frame cracking?

Alex Y EcoTech
06/17/2014, 02:54 PM
Ermin,

That is a very unusual issue, if you could I would like you to email me a picture of the cracking. Please email Service@ecotechmarine.com Attn: Alex

Ermin
06/17/2014, 03:38 PM
I wish I have the part still to be able to show you....I had already tossed it when I found it cracked.

I also want to add that I clean each wet end every time by taking them completely apart and soak with vinegar to clear all encrustation.

Ermin
06/19/2014, 08:11 PM
Alex,
Does adjusting the pin spacing further sound like a possible solution to you?

Alex Y EcoTech
06/23/2014, 06:30 AM
Ermin,

You could try adjusting the spacer to the next largest size to see if this makes a difference, but there is not guarantee this will resolve the issue.

Vlado4x4
06/24/2014, 08:34 AM
I had a similar problem as Ermin after cleanning the wet side.

Is it possible for ecotech to put up a video on how to clean the pumps ?
I told my distributor how i clean them (by taking them completely apart and soak with vinegar) and he told me NEVER to open them, thats why it brakes ...
Dosenīt make any sense ...

Ermin
08/13/2014, 07:07 PM
Well, the frame cracked again...... this time I have a pic for you.... The propeller nut is never loose everytime this occurs. I made sure every time I clean the wetside, all parts (ie. washer/ bearing/ etc) are put back in the correct order.

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii604/Cresta33/Reef%20Central/20140806_014720.jpg (http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/Cresta33/media/Reef%20Central/20140806_014720.jpg.html)

Alex Y EcoTech
08/14/2014, 05:38 AM
Ermin,

It is very unusual for any part to fail after two months. Based on the photo it would appear the wetside is receiving to much magnetic coupling force. I would highly recommend double checking your dryside pin spacer setting and re-measuring your aquariums wall thickness.

Ermin
08/14/2014, 03:31 PM
Alex,

I will check....but its been running on the same exact location and tank with the same pin spacing for the past 5+ years. The frame only started to crack starting last year or so....

Let's say, my spacing is correct..... but, I will back it out "one more space", ultimately weakening the magnetic force. What is the worse case that can happen?
1.) Maybe the wet-end becomes too weak to spin?
2.) Dry side falls off the tank wall?
3.) Any other negative?