PDA

View Full Version : Test Kits

LJLKRL
06/19/2014, 12:16 PM
I am sure this topic has been beat to death, and I did not do a search this time.
I need advice on a test kit. I have a red sea kit and I cannot get comfortable with the color change to determine the correct values.
I don't trust my judgment with them.

Are there any other test kits that are easier to use and reliable for CA Mag and Alk?

Thanks,
Larry

hilgert
06/19/2014, 12:28 PM
I am sure this topic has been beat to death, and I did not do a search this time.
I need advice on a test kit. I have a red sea kit and I cannot get comfortable with the color change to determine the correct values.
I don't trust my judgment with them.

Are there any other test kits that are easier to use and reliable for CA Mag and Alk?

Thanks,
Larry

Nobody has ever asked about test kits before...you are the first. :lmao:

I use Red Sea for Alk, Ca and Mg, and find the color changes okay. However, for Alk I do like the API KH kit for the color change...seems much sharper to me. It's the one I use every few days (and it's cheap) for "directional indication", and then I test with my Red Sea (Alk) when I do my 2 minutes of weekly tank maintenance.

For API there is a DIY "high resolution" version: High Resolution API KH Test Kit (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1787607). You already have the proper syringe from the Red Sea kit for this.

For Mg I like the Salifert as well, but the Red Sea is my go-to for Mg (and I do a reference test against Salifert). I think Salifert is the "gold standard" of many reefers...I certainly like it. But I like the Red Sea kit design (the little plastic syringe/sample thingy, etc.), and you can get inexpensive refills (which you cannot with many other kits).

Larry (yes, I'm a Larry too)

thegrun
06/19/2014, 03:15 PM
For alkalinity you might want to use a Hanna Checker, no colors to worry about, the results are simply a number. I think you get a little better color with Salifert for calcium and magnesium, but I would not expect a dramatic difference from what you see with Red Sea.

GainesvilleReef
06/19/2014, 03:21 PM
I like the Red Sea kits mostly for their packaging and ease of use. I just can't keep up with all the components with the Salifert flimsy boxes. If you are having troubles with color changes, like me, get a Hanna checker for Alk and Ca. The refills are inexpensive.

I have a miserable time with the Red Sea potassium kit. The indicator goes from dark purple to deep blue. I have to do it with strong light and white background.

outssider
06/19/2014, 04:44 PM
I have a miserable time with the Red Sea potassium kit. The indicator goes from dark purple to deep blue. I have to do it with strong light and white background.

It took me a while but I have found the trick to the rs potassium test kit.

first use a cool white fluorescent light as your light source (preferably the only light in the room)

you are right, as you add drops the sample will go from purple to purple/blue but this is not the end point. keep adding drops slowly until the sample turns "milky" blue..... go slowly because it will turn that milky color all of a sudden.

GainesvilleReef
06/19/2014, 07:16 PM
Agreed, that is exactly what I have learned to do with it. It was worse when I first started because I had a serious depletion with my tank water, and never could reach an endpoint. I had to finally practice with some new water to have a level where I would expect it. I watched the video about 10 times as well. I guess part of it is my old eyes.