PDA

View Full Version : Buying fish from stores across the country? Risks involved?

Blue Ring Sting
06/19/2014, 01:33 PM
Hi guys & girls

As the title says, what do you think about purchasing from stores on the other side of the country? How do you trust what the store is saying? How accurate on the pictures that is posted and that is sent? Do you believe the common " yes it is eating everything like a pig "?

I recently did my first individual fish purchase from a well known store in my country, it had good reviews so I thought it should be safe to purchase from them. I ended up purchasing a Venustus Angel that they had, now I know that the Venustus Angel is one of those angels that are obtained by poor collection methods (cyanide) so when talking to the sales rep and owner I was assured that the fish was healthy and " eating like a pig ". The picture that they sent me was also a very shady one. Hardly able to see how the fish is doing and what condition it is in, but the store is a well known store always talking about great promotions and great stock and is generally know as a reliable supplier. So all the signs were there....

Please see pictures of the Venustus Angel that I purchased from the store.... Now is this the fish that was eating like a pig? Was this the same one that was so healthy? This fish came in laying on its side lifeless, when it took him out the bag you could clearly see that he was ill, now the time it took to get from the store to me was less than 5 hours.

I have brought this to the attention of the store but he is adamant that the fish was healthy and it was in QT and eating happily and gave me a long story.

So how do you know when a store is telling you the truth? What measures do you take to ensure that you get healthy fish? This ordeal has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth now because the store where you are buying from is your eyes and they have mislead me. It would be interesting to hear your comments.

Betta132
06/19/2014, 01:42 PM
Never actually tried this, but perhaps you could ask for a cell phone video of it eating? I suppose they could send you a different one, but that might help a bit.
Poor li'l angel... Never really understood why any retailer would buy cyanide-collected fish, although I suppose the fish do usually last long enough to sell.

Blue Ring Sting
06/19/2014, 01:51 PM
That's my exact thought, why would you purchase fish which are cyanide caught? I have discussed it with them intensely about his health because I know these are the poster fish for cyanide collections.

I knew something was up because they were supposed to send it to me today but they rushed it for yesterday.

snorvich
06/19/2014, 03:31 PM
Unless a store/supplier has a substantially positive reputation, I am not willing to take the chance. There are some in this country with a reputation for "inexpensive" but I also see a variety of negative experiences from some of those vendors.

Blue Ring Sting
06/19/2014, 03:41 PM
I don't necessarily want cheap fish, I want healthy fish. What is the point on saving money on a purchase that is not going to make it? I have learnt now that if I cannot see the fish or inspect it myself I don't buy it.

snorvich
06/19/2014, 04:18 PM
I don't necessarily want cheap fish, I want healthy fish. What is the point on saving money on a purchase that is not going to make it? I have learnt now that if I cannot see the fish or inspect it myself I don't buy it.

I don't want cheap fish. Many people, however, shop by price, and they tend to buy from vendors that are competing on price rather than quality.

claireputput
06/19/2014, 05:28 PM
Wow, sad. I am new to saltwater but not new to buying fish on line. There are many reasons that I buy online-due mostly that the nearest lfs is an hour and a half away. However, I did not realize the method utilized to capture some of these fish. Glad that I have stuck with tank bred! Sorry that fish and you had to go through that! :(

Blue Ring Sting
06/19/2014, 06:32 PM
I agree with that statement 100%. Obviously for some guys this hobby can be heavy on the pocket, however the cheap price attracts certain people and with those purchases it keeps those stores selling unhealthy live stock going.

I agree Claire, it may seem extremely convenient to order a fish online but you don't get to check the fish out for yourself. I would spend about an hour at the store checking it out before I made the purchase. Makes me feel much more comfortable.

That is another story, I really don't understand why stores would purchase cyanide caught fish, when they know the suppliers use cyanide. Its so disappointing. This guy was so banged up he had what looked like blood coming from his gills. Such a shame that fish have to go through that sort of internal damage.