PDA

View Full Version : Hi tank Vs. Reg.

JMorris271
06/19/2014, 03:43 PM
I Don't know this to be fact but some say fish are usually swimming around he lower half of the tank, If that be true, what would be the advantage of a tall tank except for an occasional stray swimmer? I am trying to decide between the two and would appreciate any input. Thanks.

wm jim
06/19/2014, 03:51 PM
Have a 200 gallon 4 foot tall with one lion plan to get several more. He is all over from top to bottom

SwampyBill
06/19/2014, 05:06 PM
Some fish are more top dwellers. But my main reason for liking tall tanks is more room to add corals if aquascape is built up higher.

Scubaken
06/19/2014, 05:06 PM
My display is 36 inches deep, I have fish throughout the entire Colum.

Whistl3r
06/19/2014, 08:16 PM
You can select fish specifically the occupy different parts of the water column. The other main advantage (at least for me) is the ability to build nice rock structures that allow me to place corals anywhere from right under a light to all the way down on the sandbed depending on their lighting needs.

RocketEngineer
06/19/2014, 08:52 PM
There are several DISADVANTAGES to a tall tank:
1) They have a small surface area to volume ratio which means they don't exchange O2 and CO2 with the air very efficiently. This can be a big problem in a well stocked tank
2) They are hard to work in because you are likely going to need tools to reach the bottom. Personally, I don't want to need SCUBA gear to work in my tank and my arms are only so long.
3) If it is a reef, getting light penetration to the bottom becomes an issue.

Long, wide tanks are best with most folks agreeing that 24" to 30" deep is the best balance of rock work height to lighting requirements.

davocean
06/19/2014, 09:11 PM
Agree w/ rockets comments, plus the fact getting good light down deeper can be challenging.
I like 24" deep myself.

callsign4223
06/19/2014, 09:24 PM
I got a 30" and I wish it was a little shallower. I can't reach the bottom without tools and cleaning the sand surface is impossible for me.

inetmug
06/19/2014, 09:56 PM
Bigger is not always better LOL. Mine is 30", and I am darn glad no deeper. Although, I do agree that they kinda look cooler.

You can get the light to the bottom, just bring your wallet.

I am reading the Moe book, he points out the one thing RocketEngineer says on the gas exchange.

ca1ore
06/19/2014, 10:12 PM
I was always in the shallower is better camp until buying my most recent tank. Was looking for a really big tank, but didn't want to pay custom prices, so I ended up with a Marineland 265 that is 30" tall. I certainly wouldn't go any taller as that height is just at the point of exceeding my arm length, but I have come to really like having that extra 6 inches above the rock. With the exception of my sand dwellers, all of my fish are equal opportunity swimmers and spend just as much time in the top third as they do the bottom third. OK, you absolutely do have to factor in surface area relative to volume, but frankly, with a sump, excessive in-tank circulation and a skimmer, I've noted no issues with oxygen levels. Maybe power outage plan needs a bit more attention, but otherwise I'm a tall tank convert.

As far as light penetration goes, I've become a pretty big fan of my LEDS and their ability to punch through height. Whether 36", for example, would be problematic I cannot say, but 30" has not been. I think my ideal tank would be 30" tall, but 36" deep ...... Maybe some day.

pyithar
06/20/2014, 02:44 AM
my display is 30" tall. with the stand and sump underneath the tank, i need a tall chair or a small ladder to do maintenance. and my finger tips could barely reach the bottom. :P i think tall tanks look cool but 30" is the maximum for me. i just wish i had a 7 footer instead of a 4 footer.