PDA

View Full Version : Clams are in my coral!

87ford
06/19/2014, 09:40 PM
So today I just decided to stare at my zoas and noticed there was clam shells all imbedded in the rock it came on didn't think much of it had it for 3 months and started to really look at it and the clam shells weren't empty they started to open and close and I guess this is a good thing but is it ok that it's right in the middle of the zoas etc will each other hurt one other?

Thanks
Tom

Ps attached a pic it's night time had to manually turn on a light to get a ok picture but you can see some of the polyps open and the clam.

Boboli
06/19/2014, 09:41 PM
That looks promising!

87ford
06/19/2014, 09:55 PM
Ha neutral response is that good or bad I know free is good but is it going to cause my zoas night mares lol

Thanks
Tom

Boboli
06/19/2014, 10:01 PM
No your zoas will be fine.
Zoas probably a detriment to Clams.

87ford
06/19/2014, 10:05 PM
Ok I would say like 3 of the clams are alive the rest are dead I would think no movement lol but pretty cool any special feedings? Or does coral food usually work fine I use snow and plankton and some other one that's eggs I believe can't remember off top of my head but I know it's a nutrient spiker the snow isn't

Thanks
Tom

A. Grandis
06/20/2014, 12:24 AM
I've collected some species of live clams with polyps in the past, but most of them died probably for lack of food in my closed system.
Yep, if you figure out what they would eat and survive that would be great.
Please be careful with the nutrient spike with some of the foods, as you know.
I don't think any clam would be bad for the zoas.
I think some of the zoas would be able to perhaps overgrow the clams and therefore suffocate them, but that will depend on the species, I guess.
I think we'll have to wait and see.
It looks very natural.
Good luck!!

Grandis.

87ford
06/20/2014, 09:24 AM
Ok cool and yeah it looks pretty natural that's about the only thing that does I got a long way to go before I get that full reef tank look lol but at least the tank it self is stable with no nitrates and I monitor calcium and iodine and do regular water changes to keep up the trace elements every thing is striving just recently my bta was nice and big and my black clown was loving it and it decided to split and they are both next to each other and happy lol I'll post a pic of the tank I got a long wag to go

Thanks
Tom

Mael
06/24/2014, 10:32 AM
One of my first zoa frags came mounted on a live muscle, surprisingly the muscle is still alive 9 months later, i have heard they are filter feeders and since I feed a lot of plankton to my tank he is probably getting some sustenance. Like the others said I dont think they can have a negative impact on the zoas.

loves2reef
07/15/2014, 09:35 PM
wont hurt anything. get some live phytoplankon and just dose from time to time.