PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia in my azoox tank

Green_fishy
06/20/2014, 09:37 AM
Hi, I have tons of aiptasia in my azoox tank (few sun corals, gorgs and one soft). What fish will be better: matted filefish acreichthys tomentosus or threadfin butterflyfish chaetodon auriga? I already have two peppermint shrimps lysmata wurdemanni and few berghia nudibranch and no effect.

Trichome
06/20/2014, 06:23 PM
I have had luck with a Kliens butterfly fish and now 2 copperband (in two different tanks). I trained the copperbands by not feeding them till they ate the aptasia and then they learned to eat mysis shrimp. My tank used to have so many apasia that you could barely see the bottom of the tank and there would be about 15 babies floating in the water at any given time.

Electus unus
06/21/2014, 03:46 AM
Aptasia-x
Best product on the market.

noy
06/21/2014, 06:35 AM
Hi, I have tons of aiptasia in my azoox tank (few sun corals, gorgs and one soft). What fish will be better: matted filefish acreichthys tomentosus or threadfin butterflyfish chaetodon auriga? I already have two peppermint shrimps lysmata wurdemanni and few berghia nudibranch and no effect.

Unfortunately aiptasia thrive in azoox environment. Try adding a few more berghia's. I find the various fish and peppermint shrimps don't solve the problem plus if you feed you tank they will consume whatever you are feeding the tank and ignore the aiptasia.

Berghia were the solution to my aiptasia problem - completely obliterated it. I put 6 into a 110 gallon.

Aiptasia-X is also very good for spot control - its a pain if you have a tankful.

Green_fishy
06/30/2014, 02:11 PM
MY LFS's don't have any berghia :( I'm thinking about restart with brand new rock, dry or DIY.

SkySoldier173
06/30/2014, 04:18 PM
I heard file fish eat them

Green_fishy
07/01/2014, 12:46 AM
Yes, but what about sun corals? Are they safe?

ReeferKimberly
07/01/2014, 02:16 AM
I will never trust a file fish around coral again. Had one eat duncans, zoos, palys, etc. Sun Corals seem like they might taste nice to a fish that likes duncans....but unfortunately I can't give you personal experience as I did not have them with the file at the time.

Wonton Soup
07/01/2014, 07:55 AM
Also, don't waste money on Aiptasia X or other shelf products. A fresh lime and a syringe works just as well and costs significantly less, and can be used in a fresh margarita after you're done.

lostintheocean
07/21/2014, 12:06 PM
my file fish picks at one softie, most zoas and palys, a gorge from time to time, he is a cool fish but is not to be trusted

Nemato
07/27/2014, 02:24 AM
My experience is that they are a great headache :D

Filefish: very good, but nipped on corals I wasn't disposes to take out or let die.

Wurdermanni: works well but different species look quite similar. You can be lucky and find it at the first try, but it's also normal to have some tries till you find the correct one.

Berghia: I'm having a hard search to find it again. They ate all the aiptasia and I understand they died. After that aiptasia started growing ( i suppose from few cells in the rock or one small survival).

Now I'm killing them with vinegar while looking to find a true wurdermanni or berghia at the same time. I inject it with a needle trough the mouth. Once in, I fill the demon with the acid. Reduced the population to 1/8 of what it was in 3 days.