PDA

View Full Version : Kole Tangs and Lights

Robert123
06/20/2014, 06:46 PM
I am a newbie and would like to share what I have noticed for others who might also be new and are experiencing the same. The experienced reefers most probably already know this but I know that if one is new any info helps.

I was given a Kole Tang a week ago. He was happy doing well and grazing on algae. On day 3 he ( or she for the feminists.lol ) was cowering in a rock cave and not eating. I would come home from work and started to worry. No heavy breathing or distress.

Anyway my lights are on a timer. Within minutes of the lights turning off out the Tang came and started swimming and grazing. I turn on the lights and within a minute he / she is hiding. Turn off and all is good.

Basically my Tang hates the lights.

So before any of you freak out thinking its a disease try the lights.

I hope this helps other newbies like myself.

Thanks

ChimolaFish
06/20/2014, 09:25 PM
So did you find out what about the lights scared the little guy? This sounds strange. Could it just be an acclimation issue and he'll get used to the tank later? I mean, you cant keep the lights off always.

Shaummy
06/20/2014, 10:46 PM
I doubt that the tang hates the lights...it's only been in there a week, so it's still getting used to your environment. It could be that when the lights are on, there are tankmates that are much more interested in their new neighbor than when they are out.

Give it some time, I'm sure it will get comfortable.