PDA

View Full Version : clownfish won't leave anemone...

tchi
06/20/2014, 06:53 PM
My clownfish that I've had for about 4 years recently passed away (jumped out of tank :() and I got a pair of onyx snowflakes to replace her. The tank has a BTA and a haddoni that have been together for about 3 years now. My old clownfish use to host the haddoni during the day and sleep in the BTA at night. Even though she 'hosted' both anemones, she would spend a good amount (50-75%) of time swimming around the tank and only darted into the anemone when she was startled.

The two new clownfish I got spent the first 2 days swimming around the tank like they've never been able to swim before. I was actually kinda worried because I've never seen clownfish glass surf non-stop like these before. THEN, they discovered the anemones.... I guess most people want their clowns to host anemones, but these guys have taken it to another level. For the past 5 days, neither clown has left the BTA (I don't think they've figured out the haddoni yet). I'm not worried about the BTA...its pretty large and very healthy, but the clowns are literally glued onto the anemone. Neither of them will leave it. They haven't swam at all for the past 5 days and I haven't seen either move more than 1-2 inches away from it! I would say 90% of the time, they are almost motionless inside the BTA like they are sleeping...except the lights are on.

Is this just a phase they are going through or are they going to be like this forever... It's kind of frustrating to watch because they have the entire tank all to themselves and yet they spend 90% of their time glued to the anemone. They're not even doing the 'bouncing' hosting...they are literally motionless inside the anemone most of the time.

joshky
06/20/2014, 07:07 PM
Sounds stress induced from still being new to the system, I wouldn't stress too much.

sparky45
06/20/2014, 08:39 PM
My clowns have been hosting my rbta for 2 years and they barley ever leave the nem.

Dylan Ringwood
06/20/2014, 08:51 PM
My clownfish that I've had for about 4 years recently passed away (jumped out of tank :() and I got a pair of onyx snowflakes to replace her. The tank has a BTA and a haddoni that have been together for about 3 years now. My old clownfish use to host the haddoni during the day and sleep in the BTA at night. Even though she 'hosted' both anemones, she would spend a good amount (50-75%) of time swimming around the tank and only darted into the anemone when she was startled.

The two new clownfish I got spent the first 2 days swimming around the tank like they've never been able to swim before. I was actually kinda worried because I've never seen clownfish glass surf non-stop like these before. THEN, they discovered the anemones.... I guess most people want their clowns to host anemones, but these guys have taken it to another level. For the past 5 days, neither clown has left the BTA (I don't think they've figured out the haddoni yet). I'm not worried about the BTA...its pretty large and very healthy, but the clowns are literally glued onto the anemone. Neither of them will leave it. They haven't swam at all for the past 5 days and I haven't seen either move more than 1-2 inches away from it! I would say 90% of the time, they are almost motionless inside the BTA like they are sleeping...except the lights are on.

Is this just a phase they are going through or are they going to be like this forever... It's kind of frustrating to watch because they have the entire tank all to themselves and yet they spend 90% of their time glued to the anemone. They're not even doing the 'bouncing' hosting...they are literally motionless inside the anemone most of the time.

I would give them time to adjust to there new environment if the tank they came from before had a bta it is what's innate for them but it sounds funny cause I can just picture it, mine bolts to it when it seems startled. Good luck I like those fish let us no how it goes

Daniel62
06/21/2014, 05:32 PM
How old are the clowns/ I find that the younger the clown the more likely that they stay in their nem all the time, Make since to me, who wants to get eaten when you are young and little:)

tchi
06/21/2014, 10:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The clowns are pretty young, the female is 1.5" and the male is about 1". The BTA that they're in is about 6-8" in diameter when its fully inflated so its actually hard to see them when they're buried inside.

They are the only fish in the tank so there's nothing that's chasing them or fighting for territory. Maybe the hiding is instinctual? Today, the male came out a few inches while I was feeding the corals. Unfortunately, the female immediately chased him back into the anemone, lol...

Another thing is neither are eating that much. I've seen the male eat a few times and he appears hungry, but the female keeps chasing him away from food. I also haven't seen her eat since introducing her into tank but it may be because she's stressed?

ReeferNoob4ever
05/13/2017, 12:18 PM
My nugget pretty much never leaves the anemone EXCEPT to come out and get food. So I'm not concerned unless they aren't eating.

davocean
05/13/2017, 08:45 PM
Pretty much every clown pair I had swam a lot exploring first few days, most did not eat those first few days either.
Hard to say what every clown will do but I'd be glad they took to the BTA, maybe later they will swim more, give it time, they are still very new.

Swayze27
05/13/2017, 09:04 PM
What kind if f clownfish was the original? I've had clarki that only go to the nem to take it food and to sleep. But my ocelleris don't get 3 inches away from their nem.