PDA

View Full Version : Zoanthid under blue led only?

Fish Ed
06/22/2014, 09:26 AM
Is it possible to keep zoanthids under blue LED only, forever, and ever, for the rest of its life:twitch:.

But really, it's just for my frag tub so it wont be in there for tooo long.
Will it have positive or negative effects on it? Growth?

Additional:
It's
-460nm
-20000k-25000k

Mael
06/22/2014, 07:23 PM
I have heard of people who have kept a zoa frag tank under blues only for a while, at least a a few months. But as with any animal that uses light as a energy and food source I would try to give at least a little bit of light in the warmer spectrum like white/warm white. Right now I run my whiter bulbs 4/10 hours the prop tank is on and 6/12 hours the DT is on. rest is all blue/indigo/uv

mussel and hate
06/23/2014, 11:08 AM
You could keep a zoanthid on the patio under the noon sun for the rest of it's(short) life.

I don't know how zoanthid growth, morphology or lifespan is affected by monochromatic light. I expect you could conduct an experiment to find out pretty easily though.

terrypercula
06/24/2014, 05:30 AM
One of my LFS has a tank with only blues over it for the past 3 years...they grow like weeds. There's also chalices, some euphyllia and even a little SPS.

Fish Ed
06/24/2014, 06:29 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll just get it. I can always alternate with the blue w/ white leds if anything goes wrong, just a little troublesome to do everyday :P