PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Wrasse ID Needed - Pic Included

Browndawg80
06/23/2014, 07:42 PM
Picked up this wrasse at the LFS yesterday, sold to me as a purple scaled fairy wrasse. Would like to know the exact species. Let me know if you need a better pic. Thanks in advance!

albano
06/23/2014, 08:23 PM
Not great pic, but looks like ruby headed wrasse

eatbreakfast
06/24/2014, 05:31 AM
Not great pic, but looks like ruby headed wrasse

I would agree, C. cf. cyanopleura, the ruby headed wrasse, but often sold as a female solorensis.

evolved
06/24/2014, 10:06 AM
I'm actually thinking a young male Cirrhilabrus luteovittatus.

It could be C. cyanopleura or a variant, however. Really need a better picture to be sure.

Browndawg80
06/24/2014, 03:47 PM
I will try to get a better picture tonight. FWIW the red/pink patch that shows on the fishes side in the pic is not present on the other side.

Browndawg80
06/24/2014, 07:52 PM
See if these pics will help you narrow it down. Probably as good as I can get with an iPhone. Does the spot that is only on one side indicate an initial phase male turning terminal or is it just an individual variation?

eatbreakfast
06/24/2014, 09:33 PM
If the discoloration is on only one side it is either an aberration or an injury. I am sticking with my initial id of C. cf. cyanopleura.

evolved
06/25/2014, 10:09 AM
I am sticking with my initial id of C. cf. cyanopleura.
Yup; I just jumped ship. :)

Browndawg80
06/25/2014, 11:15 AM
Ok so we are talking about Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura then. What does the .cf. stand for?

Browndawg80
06/25/2014, 11:18 AM
Also what is the best QT procedure for this fish? I've read mixed reviews on these wrasses and prazipro and copper. The fish is under observation now and appears to be healthy and is eating everything I offer.

evolved
06/25/2014, 12:09 PM
Ok so we are talking about Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura then. What does the .cf. stand for?
Latin for "confers", meaning resembles but different. ie - the actual species is yet to be described.

Also what is the best QT procedure for this fish? I've read mixed reviews on these wrasses and prazipro and copper. The fish is under observation now and appears to be healthy and is eating everything I offer.
I always recommend at least 2 rounds of prazi. I tend to avoid copper and don't worry about ich unless it appears. I always QT for a least 6, preferably 8, weeks.

eatbreakfast
06/25/2014, 12:14 PM

The cf stands for confer or compare, so it is not scientifically described yet, but has physical similarities wth cyanopleura, so when being described the taxonomist would look at the scientific description of cyanopleura to see if there are enough differences to warrent a separate species designation.

Browndawg80
06/25/2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys! Learn something new everyday.