PDA

View Full Version : Removed sea urchin a.m. 2 fish dead p.m.

no1bubba
06/23/2014, 07:47 PM
Removed Black Sea urchin this morning and this evening my Naso and Yellow Tangs did not come out to eat...Tangs don't miss a meal. Could chasing down the urncin have caused it to give off a toxin that would have killed the tangs? All other fish are fine as well as coral and clam. Just makes me want to go coral only.

Xavibear
06/24/2014, 01:53 AM
Urchins don't release toxins when they die.

no1bubba
06/24/2014, 07:17 AM
Urchin didn't die, I caught him to re-home in another tank but I am sure he was stressed to the max with me chasing him. Guess I just got 2 dead fish at the same time. Thanks

Mike Ordner
06/24/2014, 07:29 AM
Either the fish were sick or you stressed the fish getting the urchin out. How much chasing did you have to do, urchins don't move fast. Did you have to move your rocks around to get it out? How many fish do you have and what are the other fish? Did you have anything on your hands or arms (chemicals) when you got the urchin out? Do you run a skimmer? If not and the tank does not have good circulation, then they could have had an oxygen problem if they swam like crazy to get out of your way when you were chasing the urchin. How long did you have the tangs before they died?

Just removing the urchin would have no consequences on the fish directly.

no1bubba
06/24/2014, 10:49 AM
it was early before the lights were on. Didn't see any of the fish chasing around, still in their beds. Had him cornered just had to change gloves and move a rock 1/2" more like scooted the rock 1/2".Tangs, Chromes, cardinals clowns gobey and shrimp, all have been together for over 3 years except the yellow tang 2 years. Run bubble blaster 2000, uv, fuge, carbon phosphate pad. I just now saw a post about another totally missing tang.

Dmorty217
06/24/2014, 11:12 AM
The urchin didn't cause the tangs to die. Did you stir up a lot of sand, or release a lot debris?

jrozzi
06/24/2014, 11:15 AM
you have anything on your hands? seems weird they died shortly after u were in there.

nevermind I should read other posts before I post sorry.

no1bubba
06/24/2014, 11:28 AM
Just a huge aquarium glove...he nailed me several times previously. Glove was out on screened porch drying out. Everything else in tank is fine to include: Purple tank, Hippo and sailfin.

anbosu
06/24/2014, 11:35 AM
When you moved the rock is it possible you squashed the fish?

no1bubba
06/24/2014, 03:06 PM
I really didn't LIFT the rock just slid it over and that took so long that a snail could have escaped. Going to move rocks tonight till we find them

jrozzi
06/24/2014, 03:19 PM
So you haven't actually seen the two tangs dead?

no1bubba
06/24/2014, 06:17 PM
We have moved every rock and absolutely no evidence of either fish. My tank looks like a Reef Garage Sale with everything moved around and out of place. Maybe I do have a good CUC and just didn't know it. Nothing on top of the lights, in the inlets or behind the tank. I did however, break off a 10" section of bright orange monti plate, I'll deal with that tomorrow. Going to take a shower and cry. Thanks Friends, Bubba Shirl:sad2:

ArmyGreens
06/24/2014, 06:52 PM
Vanished? Like an alien abduction. Could they have jumped out and a cat/dog found them?

no1bubba
06/24/2014, 07:08 PM
No dogs, Persian cats hate the fish and the chances of two of them jumping tank at the same time and the Naso was 7" long.....would have scared my cats to baldness. Just has me baffled especially after I moved everything in the tank and now something else will happen because I stirred everything up. Did change my filter pads. Thanks, Bubba Shirl

Ztrain
06/24/2014, 07:33 PM
http://my.fakingnews.firstpost.com/files/2013/09/Aliens.jpg

Mmmm Tangs.....

JiveWalker
08/01/2014, 10:18 AM
Is there a window near your tank that leads to the ocean? They could have escaped back to the ocean. I know this can happen, I've seen it on tv.

CoralsAddiction
08/01/2014, 10:48 AM
The urchin didn't cause the tangs to die. Did you stir up a lot of sand, or release a lot debris?

My clowns tend to stir up sand every day near their anemone. Is it not good for fish?