PDA

View Full Version : clown fish host question

Beans21
06/24/2014, 05:00 PM
I just started my 20g and and I'm planing on just getting 2 snowflake clown fish I would eventually like to see them breed

so my question is what can I put in the tank besides an anemone. I don't have anything in the tank except for some live rock right now

davocean
06/24/2014, 05:02 PM
frogspawn or hammer would be a nice alternative to a nem in that size tank.

Beans21
06/24/2014, 05:42 PM
Any other inputs? Thx

Ztrain
06/24/2014, 07:41 PM
Just curious because I'm tossing around idea's for my first 20g atm. Why don't you want the Anem? I'm currently leaning the other way. I go to the LFS and see the SPS and goo ohh pretty but there isn't enough movement for my interests so I'm probably going to pass on them. The LPS are nice and wavy like torches, bubble, etc. But even with those you then have to dose a lot. I'm thinking just get a bubble tip or other Anem. That's what those fish like anyways. They'll take less less calcium and stuff to keep going and still give you a lot of wavy motion.

When I was looking at corals I was looking at torches and bubble corals with maybe a nice Montipora to color up the live rock.

Beans21
06/25/2014, 12:24 AM
I don't do well with anenomes for some reason Ive had 2 ( in different tanks) in the past and I had to sell them before I killed them in a 150g and 200g. I was thinking maybe a toad stool.

davocean
06/25/2014, 12:32 AM
A toadstool would most likely be bothered.
I also do not like the idea of host nems in smallish tanks, too unstable, too close to pumps and PH's, many nems will be touching tank walls when full grown, and god forbid they try to move.
frog and hammer are awesome alternatives, and very "nemmy" looking.
Most clowns will gladly accept them w/out issues to either host or guest.

Beans21
06/25/2014, 01:06 AM
Do I need to put a host in the tank ? I agree anens would eventually get to big and out of control.

davocean
06/25/2014, 07:53 AM
No you don't need any host, but most likely they will try to accept a host from something, euphyllia like I mentioned usually works great and is not bothered by them usually.