PDA

View Full Version : S. gigantea and filefish-Issues?

Breadman03
06/24/2014, 05:55 PM
I have an anemone problem, well actually two of them. First is that I love anemones, second is that I have an aiptasia infestation. I just purchased an Acreichthys tomentosus/Bristletail filefish from DD (http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=231789) in order to destroy those pests.

My concerns are my S. gigantae and BTA. I also have a two clams. Will this fish go after them? Now, I have a couple days of shipping plus 4 weeks of QT to get my tank ready, but I'd rather leave things as-is if safe to do so.

I can move the nems into a 35ish gallon portion of my sump and put a Radion over it to keep them safe. Alternatively, I could put the filefish in that section and just rotate rocks into that section to deal with the problem.

I'm also open to other suggestions, keeping in mind that I'm dealing with a 220 gallon system that will soon be 313 gallons.

What say the experts? TIA!

clorox
06/24/2014, 07:07 PM
I have an anemone problem, well actually two of them. First is that I love anemones, second is that I have an aiptasia infestation. I just purchased an Acreichthys tomentosus/Bristletail filefish from DD (http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=231789) in order to destroy those pests.

My concerns are my S. gigantae and BTA. I also have a two clams. Will this fish go after them? Now, I have a couple days of shipping plus 4 weeks of QT to get my tank ready, but I'd rather leave things as-is if safe to do so.

I can move the nems into a 35ish gallon portion of my sump and put a Radion over it to keep them safe. Alternatively, I could put the filefish in that section and just rotate rocks into that section to deal with the problem.

I'm also open to other suggestions, keeping in mind that I'm dealing with a 220 gallon system that will soon be 313 gallons.

What say the experts? TIA!

I might have lucked out, but not long time ago, I had the beginning signs of an aiptasia infestation. I tried aiptasia-x and it works to a degree and it is also a chore to use, they still kept sprouting. Then just for the sake of trying I got 4 peppermint shrimps for less than $10 and in a couple of weeks later there were no more signs of aiptasia whatsoever. I lost 1 shrimp to my bottomless pit S.Haddoni, but even with 3 left in a 60g tank they seem to have cleaned house. The best $10 I spent on my reef in a while :)