PDA

View Full Version : Easy water alarm

salty joe
06/25/2014, 06:51 AM
I made a simple and inexpensive 'water in the wrong place' alarm using two piezo buzzers and a 12V wall wart.

I connected the + from the wall wart to both piezoes, then spliced a second ground wire to the wall wart. Then, I connected a wire to the negative side of each piezo. Touching the neg wire from a piezo to the neg wire from the wall wart activates that buzzer.

To hold the wires in place on the floor, I cut a piece of 3" PVC a couple inches long and drilled four holes just big enough to pass the wire through. Two holes near the top and two holes near the bottom about 1/4" apart. With the insulation stripped from the ends of the wire and the wire a blond hair from the floor, if the floor gets wet, the piezo screams. You can put the water sensors where you need them and put the piezoes anywhere you want them. Wired in parallel gives you independent alarms using a single wall wart. I like not having to deal with batteries.

eBay sells the piezoes for cheap and if you can solder, it's a piece of cake. I had fun with this, hope you like it too.

john08007
06/27/2014, 01:07 PM
No one is commenting so I will, I am sure that is how all water alarms work. Only thing I would bet is that they are using a very small voltage for the sensing and using that to trigger a relay or transister that in turn activates the alarm. If its a permanant location, I mean in your stand then you could just put some wood screws into the base with the wires attached to them. I'm not sure how the pvc is mounted but you are relying on it not getting moved to work.

salty joe
06/27/2014, 06:01 PM
The PVC is just sitting on the floor out of the way. If it got bumped it would not matter as long as it didn't get knocked over.
I installed the second one in an emergency overflow that dumps into a sink. The emergency overflow is connected to both the display tank and the RO DI resiviour. I am not sure how well purified water will conduct to sound the alarm, but if the float valve malfunfunctions at least I won't have a flood. Thanks for the bump.

sleepydoc
06/28/2014, 02:21 PM
I love DIY projects, but you can get this one (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Basement-Watchdog-Battery-Operated-Water-Alarm-BWD-HWA/100038838) at Home Depot (and many other places, I'm sure) for $10. Probably less than it costs for the parts.