PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian fisheri

knap_123
06/25/2014, 08:59 AM
I was looking online and saw Hawaiian fisheri for sale . has anyone kept them? Says they eat frozen and average 2 ". I'm going to call the seller and get some more info as well. But I wondering what the minimum tank size would be?

rayjay
06/25/2014, 04:27 PM
I would think the minimum tank size for them would be 20g for the first pair and then 10g additional for each additional pair.
I wasn't aware that they could legally be taken for breeding purposes and shipped to the mainland.
Be sure they are sexually mature as odds of survival are less for seahorses that are NOT sexually mature when sold.
Beware of claims of small species as sometimes the claim is used to sell seahorses of larger species sizes when they are not large enough to be sold.

knap_123
06/25/2014, 05:23 PM
These are from oceanrider. And I did speak to seahorse source and the guy there did have 1 himself. Said they were awesome little creatures.

rayjay
06/25/2014, 05:38 PM
I just checked their site and see they recommend 2 pairs minimum.
At 105 each that's $420 plus shipping I'd assume. Can go in a 30g tank.
Out of my pocket book range but I can't get them anyway as I'm in Canada.

knap_123
06/25/2014, 06:58 PM
Yes there definitely pricey. Just wish full thinking for me really. But I've learnt if I wait long enough I'll find what I want eventually . Or just forget about it all together.lol

rayjay
06/25/2014, 08:48 PM
Probably cheaper just to get a 45g tank and buy 2 pair of more common seahorses from Dan at seahorsesource.com.

enchelycore808
06/26/2014, 08:22 PM
I had them for a few years in a 10g. Had a male and 2 females but the male would always just stay with the same female but they would breed like crazy. I couldn't raise the babies for longer then a couple weeks. They can change color over time as well. My male went from red, to yellow, back to red, then yellow again. Never got them to eat frozen though. Easy to care for. If u do get them, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Attractive, personable and easier then dwarfs but without the humongous appetites of the larger species. Here's a vid if your interested (it's a very old vid so don't laugh lol)
http://youtu.be/fFhiHkeAu6s

knap_123
06/27/2014, 07:08 AM
Cool vid, we're did you get them from?

knap_123
06/27/2014, 07:12 AM
Ray Jay, I've got a 75 gallon cycled with everything I need .It was a reef tank but the fans went out. So now it's just a running tank with a fox face to keep it living. But I'm putting a 35 hex tank together for my real seahorse tank. But I'm thinking of putting 2 kuda or erectus In the 75 till I get it ready.

rayjay
06/27/2014, 09:31 AM
If you are going to put the seahorses in the 75 as a temporary measure, what will you do with the foxface as it's not compatible with keeping seahorses?
Also, will you be able to keep the temp of the 75 in the recommended 68° to 74°F range?
It would be a MUCH better idea to refrain from obtaining the seahorses until the seahorse tank is ready. That will give an added advantage in that there would be no exposure to pathogens introduced to them from the foxface and perhaps other fish that had previously been in the tank. Seahorses often succumb to exposure to pathogens they haven't grown up with.
Are these kuda/erectus guaranteed to be true captive bred? Where would you be buying them from?

knap_123
06/27/2014, 02:24 PM
Goodadvice , I will wait to purchase. Been putting the other tank a little at time for a year now. Little longer want hurt. Lol the horses will either be from dan or another guy . Other guys are a lfs. Asked if they were tr or tb. He said tb is what his supplier sells. He's a straight up guy I know. But seahorses are not his specialty of course. So I would research the supplier first.

rayjay
06/27/2014, 05:31 PM
True captive bred are those bred and raised in either a commercial salt mix water, or, in ocean water sufficiently treated and filtered for the pathogens in it.
Tank raised and tank bred normally are what MOST LFS's sell and they come from large breeding facilities that use ocean water that is NOT sufficiently treated and filtered for pathogens.
If an LFS is selling true captive bred then they should have no problem in divulging the breeder. There aren't that many breeders of true captive bred seahorses.
You can find more information on seahorse keeping by viewing the links at the bottom of the page at "My Thoughts on Seahorse Keeping (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/seahorsekeeping.html)"