PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to add a sps coral with a minor asterina starfish problem?

grant778
06/26/2014, 09:19 AM
So I have a 29 gallon sumpless aquarium and I have been wanting to add a branching sps coral to it as a centerpiece. I finally got an ATO up and running (I had been doing manual top offs), and now I want to add the coral. The only thing is there is a minor asterina starfish problem in my tank. By minor I mean I can find usually 3 or so starfish on the rocks when I look in my tank each morning. I try to take them out when I see them but I would like to know if it would be acceptable to add the sps coral at this point.

Stolireef
06/26/2014, 09:21 AM
They don't bother corals. I love them.

viper12775
06/26/2014, 12:11 PM
never seen them bother sps but there is one kind that eats zoas

footballdude2k3
06/26/2014, 03:04 PM
I have never had issues with them in the past either.

dragonfly1972
06/26/2014, 03:23 PM
Some do eat coral, specifically pocci and stylo. I am telling you this from personal experience. Garf.org has a great article about it too.
I would add and keep an eye out. You can't miss it...you will literally see the bald, asterina shaped spot on your coral. Lol

Reefvet
06/26/2014, 09:18 PM
Some do eat coral, specifically pocci and stylo.l

And most don't. They cruise right past my Poccillipora.

My linkia star eats the asterina and keeps the population in check. It's also probably the only thing that keeps him alive.

Moser
06/27/2014, 12:55 AM
I have a lot of Asterinas in my tank.
They love to eat monti Setosa and a few of my acros, but they do it very slowly.

Harlequin shrimps eat asterinas, but they will die if the supply runs out.

Didn't know that about linkia's!. Do you have a blue one?. I might try one!.

Mo