PDA

View Full Version : Too many copepods? Is it possible?

Spiffy
06/26/2014, 09:57 AM
I have seen an explosion of life in the DT since I changed my lighting, everything for green algae (which is now stabilizing), to pink coralline. And now I am seeing lots of little white dots zipping around on the glass, even when that lights are on during the day.

I know copepods are good, but is there a such thing as too many?

Mhay
06/26/2014, 10:05 AM
There's no such thing as too many.
A lot of livestock eat them and the population with stabilize at a healthy number to help sustain the tank.

Donkeykong
06/26/2014, 01:55 PM
+1^^^
They will find their own balance.

footballdude2k3
06/26/2014, 02:49 PM
This is why so many people say to let your tank mature before getting things like a mandarin, as long as everything is healthy in your tank, you should have a ton of pods.

leveldrummer
06/26/2014, 02:55 PM
Pod populations will grow and fall according to available food sources until they eventually reach a balance. If you consistently have huge numbers of pods, its a good possibilty your either feeding too much or not removing detritus enough (low flow).

Spiffy
06/26/2014, 02:58 PM
I do have an issue with detritus, but I plan on changing that when I upgrade to VorTech MP10's. I have started using flakes in addition to the brine shrimp that I feed to my fish. My LFS warned of phosphate spikes with the flakes, so I use them sparingly. But I have noticed more detritus since I have been using the flakes.

Portsie
06/26/2014, 03:05 PM
You should do some research on brine shrimp. I remember reading somewhere that they provide very little, if any, nutrition for your fish, unless you are gut loading them or harvesting them yourself and including the egg sac.

Donkeykong
06/26/2014, 03:28 PM
Portsie is right, unless you are gut loading the brine shrimp they are basically like candy to fish. They are a good food to get picky eaters started on, but arent a good long term staple of the fishes diet

Spiffy
06/26/2014, 04:08 PM
Brine Shrimp was another thing I was worried about. I have been wanting to add a lot of diversity to their diets. What do you guys recommend?

Crimson
06/26/2014, 05:29 PM
I feed nls pellets, mysis, brine, cyclops, nls marine flake (midas blenny loves it), sometimes rods frozen.

The brine, mysis are soaked in selcon.