PDA

View Full Version : CSPDI 4 stage rodi and my well water

Steve973
06/28/2014, 11:38 AM
A hardness test strip came with my SpectraPure CSPDI 4-stage RODI unit. I tested my well water, and I got a reading of somewhere between 0 and 50 ppm, so we'll call it 25 ppm. We have some sediment and I installed a sediment filter, but that seems really low. The TDS meter is reading about 33 on the first line, and of course 0 at the output. Is this normal, or am I really lucky?

The unit is set up at a 3:1 ratio, I believe. Am I safe in thinking that I can change it to 2:1? If so, how do I do that? Thanks in advance.

Steve973
06/28/2014, 11:51 AM
Ok, well that's embarrassing. I just read the manual and it explains just about everything. I'm well within the limits of using the more-restrictive (green) waste restrictor tube to run the unit at 2:1. I'm pretty surprised that the TDS of our tap water is 33!

Steve973
06/28/2014, 12:01 PM
The manual is really good, by the way! I'm extremely happy with this unit and with SpectraPure in general, and I will be recommending your products.

SpectraPure
06/29/2014, 11:45 AM
I'm glad you got it figured out and that the manual was helpful.

Sediment has NOTHING to do with TDS or Hardness. It's just the dirt that can plug up the carbon filter and goes no further than that.

Technically, the green flow restrictor is MORE restrictive to the waste water, that's what lowers the ratio.

And, yes, you are very lucky to have such low hardness. Is all of Baltimore so fortunate?

Support at SpectraPure

Steve973
06/29/2014, 11:09 PM
I am west of Baltimore county, and I am on a well, so I have no idea what Baltimore water is like. Different people in my county encounter different conditions with their own wells. Some of them need more elaborate filter systems than others, just to be able to drink their water, so it seems to vary a lot.

SpectraPure
06/30/2014, 10:05 AM
Do you have a UV sterilizer Steve?

Jeremy

Steve973
06/30/2014, 08:42 PM
I don't. I have a small tank (Innovative Marine Nuvo 16) so I'm not sure if I could add one and still keep the clean look. By the way, I just tested the pH of my water today with a digital meter that I have for home brewing, and it is acidic at around 5.8.

SpectraPure
07/02/2014, 10:21 AM
A low pH in otherwise pure water is due to CO2 in the product water. It is lightly buffered and will gas off and the pH will come up. If you mix it with your salt, you will get the right pH.

Support at SpectraPure