PDA

View Full Version : Chalices and NON-reefsafe fish

skimjim
06/30/2014, 07:54 AM
What are the chances I can successfully keep around 10 or so chalices in a 6ft 180g tank with NON-reefsafe fish like Angelfish, Butterflies and Puffer??

inigomontoya
06/30/2014, 10:48 AM
Puffer should be ok. Depends on the angels and butterflies but most likely "no" for the majority of them. There are some centropyges and other angels that are with caution, but most butterflies consider lps a food group (with the exception of copperband's and some limited others). You basically outlined the reason some of us also have FOWLR tanks (angels and butterflies).

skimjim
06/30/2014, 07:38 PM
Anyone have a clue what corals you can safely keep with angels and butterflys in the mix?

inigomontoya
07/01/2014, 09:27 AM
You will have better luck with angels than butterflys (many of them are obligate coral eaters) and better luck with sps than lps. I occasionally put cheaper corals in my fowlr to see if I can get a mixed reef. Most left gsp alone but then one raccoon went to town on it and everyone followed suit. Another raccoon had been in there for a while and never touched it. Very hit or miss and will depend on fish. Zoas don't stand a chance though.