PDA

View Full Version : Needle Wheel Impeller that fits Jebao DC2000 or DC3000

gaberosenfield
06/30/2014, 02:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I am purchasing an Avast Marine Works CS1 cone skimmer kit but want to run it using a Jebao DC pump. The DC2000 should be powerful enough, but I could also use the DC3000. The problem is that Jebao doesn't make a needle wheel impeller (as far as I know...). I have seen some posts that people have successfully used needle wheel impellers designed for other pumps in the Jebao pumps. But I can't seem to figure out what model impeller to buy. Anybody know? Preferably an impeller that doesn't cost as much as the whole Jebao pump!

Thanks!

sirreal63
06/30/2014, 03:10 PM
That skimmer is designed to utilize a psk1000 pump, which is a beast of a pump. Neither of the pumps you chose will pull enough air for the skimmer. I tried to replace a Sedra 5000 with a DC3000 and it wasn't even equal to a 500 gph pump. I would suggest a dc5000 to replace the psk1000. You will have some control over the air that way. I bought the Waveline dc3000 based on the gph being the same as the Sicce but the reality is it isn't even close. Either the Sicce is way under rated or the Chinese dupe shop is guessing at the actual numbers the pump will do.

You can get a Waveline skimmer pump, it is basically the same pump as the Jebao, the motor block comes from the same place.

gaberosenfield
06/30/2014, 03:30 PM
Hmm, well that's irritating...

Thanks for the warning though, I really appreciate it. Any idea on how loud the Sicce psk1000 is? I was hoping to use a DC pump because I have heard they are quiet and use less power, run cooler, and are controllable. Jebao offers the cheapest DC pump that anyone appears to have used. But if I have to buy a Jebao DC6000 (I'm not sure Jebao makes a DC5000...) to get enough flow, it is only $25 less than the psk1000 and probably not worth the risk of not working as well so long as it is quiet.

slief
06/30/2014, 03:45 PM
Hmm, well that's irritating...

Thanks for the warning though, I really appreciate it. Any idea on how loud the Sicce psk1000 is? I was hoping to use a DC pump because I have heard they are quiet and use less power, run cooler, and are controllable. Jebao offers the cheapest DC pump that anyone appears to have used. But if I have to buy a Jebao DC6000 (I'm not sure Jebao makes a DC5000...) to get enough flow, it is only $25 less than the psk1000 and probably not worth the risk of not working as well so long as it is quiet.

If you want your skimmer to be reliable then I would reconsider. I think there have been a lot of failure issues with these DC pumps. Power supplies and controllers seem to be major issue with those pumps if I am not mistaken. I'd suggest sticking with the pump it was designed to use. I doubt noise will be an issue for you. You could always use a neoprene pad below the pump to help dampen any noise if it's an issue for you. If you are really serious about going this route, then I would suggest getting DC skimmer pump from RLSS or Reef Octopus and try to match not only water flow but air draw to the original pump on your skimmer.

sirreal63
06/30/2014, 04:18 PM
They changed numbering on the Chinese pumps with the "latest" version, the DC6000 would be the one you want. My psk1000 isn't silent but it isn't loud either. I would also suggest not playing the Chinese Coin Toss, you may get one that has no issues, but you may get one that is an issue, for me it isn't worth the hassle, mine sits in a box of old pumps, the power supply is an accident waiting to happen.

The Sicce is a rock solid pump, and you won't have to worry if the power adapter will catch on fire or just fail, Avast will stand behind the Sicce and that is important. Remember the skimmer you are looking at was designed to be used with the Sicce, so the air/water balance has already been tested, switching pumps may not give the same balance.

gaberosenfield
06/30/2014, 04:36 PM
Alright, alright! You've convinced me to buy the sicce psk1000 for the skimmer. I'll still be getting a jebao pump to feed my calcium reactor and another for a return pump (though I have a quietone pump as an emergency backup). But it makes sense that matching the air draw and water flow would be difficult for a skimmer application. Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it!

ksed
06/30/2014, 04:44 PM
Here is more convincing to buy the Sicce. Read post 201 and down. HTH
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2295240&page=9

AkoAung
08/16/2014, 08:16 AM
People haven't had any issues with the DC pumps. Why don't you wait for the Jebao DC pumps with skimmer needle wheels to be released? they are already in the Coral Box skimmers:

http://s.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22703101

sirreal63
08/16/2014, 08:32 AM
People haven't had any issues with the DC pumps. Why don't you wait for the Jebao DC pumps with skimmer needle wheels to be released? they are already in the Coral Box skimmers:

http://s.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22703101

What? No issues? This is just one thread of issues, there are others if you look.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2328328

Dapg8gt
08/16/2014, 08:32 AM
I agree just use the Sicce pump for the skimmer, it's designed for it and Sicce pumps are almost bullet proof as skimmer pumps ..

But in case you don't know fish Street sells impellers made just for the Jebao DC pumps. I personally haven't heard anything bad on the Jebao specific pumps. It was more the RLSS /waveline versions last year if I'm not mistaken. They are good pumps so far no doubt, But I still prefer Sicce.