PDA

View Full Version : Still trying to understand this water balance chemistry.

SeeCrabRun
06/30/2014, 06:16 PM
So I took a cycled tank and added most of its contents to a larger tank with additional fresh water.

Maybe I made the mistake of thoroughly cleaning my filters, both at the same time...

Now the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are creeping up.

Should I expect this to happen often? Did I set off another cycle?

Are there any good articles online that can explain long term water quality and what to expect?

I was under the impression the cycle happened monthly and I'm not sure what I'm thinking.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1LeIHRRayWA/UJNYNtrdhdI/AAAAAAAAIPI/GiOy946cjKw/s1600/nitrogen-1.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/30/2014, 06:56 PM
If the filters did not retain adequate bacteria, or the ammonia cycle was happening primarily elsewhere in the old system, then yes, you'd expect to cycle again.

The cycle is driven by bacteria that are bound to surfaces, such as rock, sand, high surface area filters, etc., not primarily bacteria in the water.

acabgd
06/30/2014, 07:00 PM
The cycle does not happen monthly. It happens usually at the beginning when there are not enough denitrifying bacteria, or once you add to much new bioload which the current amount of bacteria cannot process (or dieoff from LR which you add). That's basically what ghe cycle is for, to establish a solid base, a solid amount of denitrifying bacteria in your LR.

Now, if you've moved everything to a new tank there might have been a lot of gunk in your old sandbed, and once you've moved it all that stuff came out and overwhelmed your bacteria.

There might be other reasons but you didn't really give much information about your tank.

SeeCrabRun
06/30/2014, 07:10 PM
Oh and I rinsed my sand too... so that makes total sense

I just have my CUC and live rock.

SeeCrabRun
07/01/2014, 06:28 AM
So to help keep the levels down should I do small frequent water changes?

SloppyJ
07/01/2014, 06:45 AM
Personally, I would let it go. If you do water changes you are removing sources for your nitrifying bacteria to feed off of. This will give you a better bacteria base in the long run.

SeeCrabRun
07/01/2014, 06:53 AM
But my main interest is the health of my crabs.

toothybugs
07/01/2014, 08:50 AM
Crabs are tough little guys. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

By the way, what are your levels and what have they been?

SeeCrabRun
07/01/2014, 11:29 AM
I use the API master kit currently, here is the chart for it http://cdn.saltwaterfish.com/3/39/39d25c7e_2.JPG
I'll eventually get a different kit but I want to use this while I have it.

3 days ago it was
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-5

Now it is
pH 8.0
Ammonia is looking closer to .25
Nitrite .25
Nitrate 10