PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Inside of Stand Question

pnyf
07/01/2014, 06:56 AM
Hello. I am starting to put together a new 40b reef tank with a 20L sump. This will be my first saltwater tank, all my previous experience being with freshwater, as well as the first time I have used a sump or built my own stand.

I have a question about the inside of my stand. I am planning on making a wooden stand using the templet here on the site. I will probably paint the stand with KILZ or something similar before I finish it. Is it better to finish the inside of the stand white to make it easy to see around in or a dark color like black to help keep extra light from the refugum from bouncing around and causing algae in places I don't want it?

Is this a problem or am I over thinking this?

thanks for the help.

SGT_York
07/01/2014, 07:12 AM
white is great!

Kills with a high gloss paint gives great durability.

Algae will grow all over your sump anyway just keep it trimmed every few weeks.

billdogg
07/01/2014, 07:16 AM
I prefer white as well. Not only will it help with seeing things in there, it also happens to be the color of Kilz Primer!

If your stand will have a solid (plywood) bottom, I would strongly suggest that you caulk around the inside as well. This will help contain any sump overflows to the inside of the stand.

Pife
07/01/2014, 07:43 AM
I also primer and then high gloss white.

Larz_1
07/01/2014, 08:08 AM
I primed mine with Kilz, then used a white spray paint made for appliances.
Nice glossy white and durable.

hllywd
07/01/2014, 09:22 AM
Gloss white exterior latex for me. It's nice to have the inside of the stand bright when you're working in there. I've personally never used a primer on the inside of a stand, or canopy.

drew2007
07/01/2014, 09:32 AM
Primed mine with Kilz and will be painting with high gloss exterior white.

Rognin
07/01/2014, 12:33 PM
I kept mine the same color as the rest and just installed some LED strips inside. I felt white would ruin the look of it inside.