PDA

View Full Version : Dictyota...Out Of Control!

algaeguy
09/15/2003, 09:15 PM
Hi everyone!

Hey, I love algae as much as anyone, but I'm not sure how to handle this one...

My good friend has a growth of Dictyota on some of his rocks, and this stuff seems to have spread. When we've attempted mechanical removal, bits and pieces float off in the current, only to re-attach and grow elsewhere in the tank!

This stuff is evil! All of the usual aggressive nutrient export processes (skimming, water changes, etc) seem to have not real impact on this stuff...

Is anyone aware of a fish or other animal that actually has proven succesful in eating this algae?

I'd appreciate any tips on this!

Thanks!

Scott

billsreef
09/17/2003, 09:14 PM
Best bet would be a long spined sea urchin. Not much else touches the stuff.

algaeguy
09/17/2003, 09:16 PM
Thanks, Bill...!

Had a feeling that LSU's would do the trick...I wonder if we're better off just manually extracting the stuff, or risking the potential collateral damage that the urchin can cause to corals?

Scott

billsreef
09/18/2003, 07:17 AM
The LSU's when large can do a job of knocking over frags. Also rather painfull to knock into when working on the tank :eek1: Otherwise they don't tend to bother anything other than algae's ;)

Bullredchaser
10/12/2003, 09:18 PM
I wonder if a tang will eat this?

billsreef
10/14/2003, 10:29 AM
So far no good reports of tangs liking this stuff. Seems to be a good one with the anti predatory compunds.

Bullredchaser
10/20/2003, 07:43 AM
The LSUs your refering to are they the ones that come from the gulf of mexico?I believe I have dictyota and if a piece breaks off and lands,its a small bush in about 2 weeks.My lawnmower blenny wont eat this stuff.

billsreef
10/20/2003, 09:15 AM
Yes, you should be able go collect your own. Just save the liquar for after the collecting trip in case you need some pain killer :D

Bullredchaser
10/21/2003, 09:02 AM
Its funny but when I lived in Texas we saw LSUs everywhere,but here in South Florida you mainly see short SUs and sea biscuits.