PDA

View Full Version : Photosynthetic Gorgonian

MesmatePipe
07/02/2014, 09:58 AM
I've been reading about gorgonians and it says some are hermatypic and some are ahermatypic. But thismwas really vague and considering all the good advice I have gotten on this forum I figured this would be a good start. There are some gorgonians I have looked into, I'm not getting my hopes up or anything but I just want to know which of these species a NPS and which are not (I'm assuming that all of these are NPS but it never hurts to check:)),
Muriceopsis flavida
Diodogorgia nodulifera
Eunicea* sp.
Pseudopterogorgia sp.
Pterogorgia citrina
If these are all NPS can you tell me one that isn't?
Thanks in advance
MmP

noy
07/02/2014, 05:04 PM
I've been reading about gorgonians and it says some are hermatypic and some are ahermatypic. But thismwas really vague and considering all the good advice I have gotten on this forum I figured this would be a good start. There are some gorgonians I have looked into, I'm not getting my hopes up or anything but I just want to know which of these species a NPS and which are not (I'm assuming that all of these are NPS but it never hurts to check:)),
Muriceopsis flavida
Diodogorgia nodulifera
Eunicea* sp.
Pseudopterogorgia sp.
Pterogorgia citrina
If these are all NPS can you tell me one that isn't?
Thanks in advance
MmP

I actually keep a database of gorgs - been doing a lot of research for my gorg tank. I didn't keep a detailed reference to particular sources but a lot are from scholarly publications.

Muriceopsis flavida - photosynthetic
Diodogorgia - definitely NPS
Eunicea - there are 32 species in here - but the most common one succinea is photosynthetic but given my own experience about how readily it takes food from the water column - could probably use with a bit of supplementary feeding.
Pseudopterogorgia - 21 species - the popular one - the purple frilly - Pseudopterogorgia elisabethae is probably photo-syn. I had one of these for over 1 year - never fed it (directly anyways) - it was thriving but then just mysteriously died (tissue fell off) in a week
Pterogorgia citrine - photosynthetic

MesmatePipe
07/02/2014, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the info

calk me Q
07/03/2014, 08:54 PM
I actually keep a database of gorgs - been doing a lot of research for my gorg tank. I didn't keep a detailed reference to particular sources but a lot are from scholarly publications.

Muriceopsis flavida - photosynthetic
Diodogorgia - definitely NPS
Eunicea - there are 32 species in here - but the most common one succinea is photosynthetic but given my own experience about how readily it takes food from the water column - could probably use with a bit of supplementary feeding.
Pseudopterogorgia - 21 species - the popular one - the purple frilly - Pseudopterogorgia elisabethae is probably photo-syn. I had one of these for over 1 year - never fed it (directly anyways) - it was thriving but then just mysteriously died (tissue fell off) in a week
Pterogorgia citrine - photosynthetic

Hi Could u share your database wit me ? Would be really appreciated.

MesmatePipe
07/04/2014, 03:18 AM
Yeah I could definitely use that too

noy
07/04/2014, 06:05 PM
have to organize it - my "database" is a series of subdirectories organized into folders per genus and species with pics for ID purposes and articles cut and pasted into a central word doc for each genus and species.

I'll definitely share it at some point.