PDA

View Full Version : Rbta help

Redseadragon12
07/02/2014, 03:43 PM
Finally decided to add an RBTA to the nuvo 16 and it is on the move. covered a few inches in about an hour. he crawled off the rock and now is heading right up the back wall of the aquarium! any advice should I remove or just let him do his thing? Can he find a spot on the wall or does he need rock?

Redseadragon12
07/02/2014, 04:00 PM
Now hes turning back down seems hes looking for rocks. This is a frag tank and there are no large rocks will he be ok?

Redseadragon12
07/02/2014, 06:06 PM
Anyone!!

Dylan Ringwood
07/02/2014, 06:07 PM
From my experience he is going to move where he is happy no ifs ands or buts about it

skimjim
07/02/2014, 08:04 PM
Yes, let this guy find its own comfortable spot. If you try and reposition it, you'll only make it stressed and could die from being unhappy.

So leave it alone and dont play with it. Its seeking out its own comfortable spot based on lighting, flow and heat. Sidenote: sometimes a rbta will move into a powerhead and get chopped up. thats a sign it was seeking out heat and mistaken the heat from the PH .... and then gets sliced and diced.

Dont be surprised if it finds a home and stays there for several weeks and then moves somewhere else.

Just let nature take its course :)

Macimage
07/02/2014, 08:11 PM
Just let him find a spot he likes. It's best not to move them as you can damage their foot.

They will attach to the sides of the tank. You can add some rubble rocks on the bottom for him to attach himself to (that is what I did in my rbta frag tank to get them ready to sell).

Be sure you have any intakes for pumps covered up.

Here are a few photos of my former 225 gallon rbta tank:

Redseadragon12
07/02/2014, 09:21 PM
Just let him find a spot he likes. It's best not to move them as you can damage their foot.

They will attach to the sides of the tank. You can add some rubble rocks on the bottom for him to attach himself to (that is what I did in my rbta frag tank to get them ready to sell).

Be sure you have any intakes for pumps covered up.

Here are a few photos of my former 225 gallon rbta tank:

GEEZE I hope mine doesnt grow too fast hes only in a 15 gallon tank.

Redseadragon12
07/02/2014, 09:24 PM
Im guessing my lighting is probably not enough. I have an LED 120w fixture that is mounted 2 feet above the tank. there isnt much for rocks for him to climb and he may not be happy at the bottom of the tank.

Macimage
07/02/2014, 10:06 PM
GEEZE I hope mine doesnt grow too fast hes only in a 15 gallon tank.

Im guessing my lighting is probably not enough. I have an LED 120w fixture that is mounted 2 feet above the tank. there isnt much for rocks for him to climb and he may not be happy at the bottom of the tank.

Give him time to settle down. I have some of mine under an LED in my temporary tank and they have done well.

As you can see, they do get big if they are healthy. The height of my 225 gallon tank in the photos is 24".

Is yours wild caught or captive bred? The captive bred ones will tend to do better. However, just because it's moving doesn't mean it's not healthy. They do tend to wander until they find a location where they like the flow and lighting. The three in my 29 gallon frag tank (no large rocks, just rubble) move all the time, whereas, the four in my other temp 50 gallon tank that are on large rocks haven't moved in months.

I started out with one very small rose and look what happened:).

Good luck!

Redseadragon12
07/02/2014, 10:22 PM
Give him time to settle down. I have some of mine under an LED in my temporary tank and they have done well.

As you can see, they do get big if they are healthy. The height of my 225 gallon tank in the photos is 24".

Is yours wild caught or captive bred? The captive bred ones will tend to do better. However, just because it's moving doesn't mean it's not healthy. They do tend to wander until they find a location where they like the flow and lighting. The three in my 29 gallon frag tank (no large rocks, just rubble) move all the time, whereas, the four in my other temp 50 gallon tank that are on large rocks haven't moved in months.

I started out with one very small rose and look what happened:).

Good luck!

Any idea why they stay put in the 50 and move around the 29? I'd like mine to find a home so he can quit making me nervous about stinging coral.

Redseadragon12
07/02/2014, 10:23 PM
mine is also a captive bred clone I get from a fellow reefer.

Macimage
07/02/2014, 11:10 PM
mine is also a captive bred clone I get from a fellow reefer.

That is good.

Any idea why they stay put in the 50 and move around the 29? I'd like mine to find a home so he can quit making me nervous about stinging coral.

I am not really sure. I don't think any of the 30 roses that I have kept in the 29 gallon have liked the old mh bulb I have on the 29 although the 225 tank they came from has mh. The bulb could be too old in the frag tank.

Also, the ones in the 50 gallon have their foots firmly attached to my large rocks that I removed from the 225. The ones in the 29 gallon only have the rubble rock on the bottom to attach to.

However, over the past few months I have removed several from the 50 that moved off the rocks onto the glass.

The ones on the 50 will be back in the 225 soon as we had to repair a leak in the bottom of the tank and it's almost ready to restock.

Overall, they do tend to move around.

Redseadragon12
07/03/2014, 12:24 PM
Do they get more poisonous as they age? mine is crawling all over the other coral and doesnt seem to be doing anything. right now he is parked right on top of some zoanthids and only the closest ones that the tentacles are rubbing on are partially closed. I doubt hes even stinging just irritating.

andex23
07/03/2014, 02:38 PM
I have mine under LEDS, you will be fine. let him find a spot he likes with the appropriate light and water flow. then move your corals away from him and you are good. an appropriately placed power head can also help him make the decision where he/she wants to live.