PDA

View Full Version : How do you disassemble a spears gate valve?

Silly clownfish
07/03/2014, 06:46 PM
Ok, I spent the extra money on a good gate valve that can be disassembled for cleaning, but to get it screwed in to my drain, I need to take it apart to have enough clearance to turn it.:headwally:

It looks like you unscrew the nut in the middle of the handle and go from there, but since I can't find instructions, I would rather check before I end up with a pile of pieces I can't get back together.

Thanks,
Kim

uncleof6
07/03/2014, 10:51 PM
Ok, I spent the extra money on a good gate valve that can be disassembled for cleaning, but to get it screwed in to my drain, I need to take it apart to have enough clearance to turn it.:headwally:

It looks like you unscrew the nut in the middle of the handle and go from there, but since I can't find instructions, I would rather check before I end up with a pile of pieces I can't get back together.

Thanks,
Kim

http://www.spearsmfg.com/V-4-files/024_Gate%20Valves.pdf

Ummm, I am inclined to ask how did you paint yourself into a corner, and why didn't you get a solvent weld valve rather than a threaded valve, (if you knew you were going to be in the corner anyway) which if screwing to shc 40 fittings is not recommended by spears, ( or Lasco either.) ;) I see unions in your future. I would not take apart a perfectly working valve. You know, applied Murphy's Law: don't fix it unless it is broke.

Silly clownfish
07/04/2014, 07:39 AM
Poor planning:facepalm:

I can screw it on about halfway and then bump into a support on the stand. I glued the wrong piece of PVC into the bottom of the bulkhead and it doesn't quite reach where I need it to be. While not ideal, I added a threaded coupler and nipple to drop the valve an inch or so and can now unscrew it as needed. :dance: i hated to add more joints : i.e. Potential places to leak, but since this is my drain (Herbie) I am not too concerned about that. If need be I could eventually replace the bulkhead and this time have a longer pipe coming out of it, but I can't get the stub that is cemented in there now out, so I would need to order a new bulkhead to do that.