PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse, did I make the right choice?

Gunsnroses
07/04/2014, 06:41 PM
Bought a Sixline about a month ago and so far it has gotten along well with everyone in the tank. So I thought maybe I got one of the good ones.
Yesterday I introduced a Sunset Fairy Wrasse. The two wrasses battled all night and most of the day untill the Sunset finally gave up and hid in the rocks. He has a spot on his back where all the scales are missing from hitting a rock I suppose.
So I spent the rest of the afternoon making a separator for my tank out of plexiglass so I could quarantine the sixline for capture. I got him out after a long battle.
So after I put everything back together in my tank and turned the lights out, I started reading up on the Sunset.
Well, from I've read, they are intolerant of other wrasses as well.
That's not good because I just ordered a Blue sided Fairy Wrasse and it should be here Wednesday.

So, should I have just stuck with the Sixline or did I make the right choice to remove him?
And can anyone confirm that the Sunset Fairy Wrasse is also going to be aggressive towards the Blue Side?

maxter
07/04/2014, 06:59 PM
Ohh man :/ lol , idk much about wrasses but try to put the two wrasse u want at the same time and turn lights off....

Gunsnroses
07/04/2014, 07:11 PM
Ohh man :/ lol , idk much about wrasses but try to put the two wrasse u want at the same time and turn lights off....
Unfortunately, the Sunset is already in the tank.
So he will have a full week of getting used to the tank before I get the Blueside.

nikon187
07/04/2014, 09:02 PM
When you say sunset fairy i assume you mean the pylie wrasse. If so i have mixed pylie with many other wrasses before with great success, you need an acclimation box so they can interact without the risk of damage. Im not surprised by the sixline, they can be mean SOB

Gunsnroses
07/04/2014, 09:23 PM
When you say sunset fairy i assume you mean the pylie wrasse.
It looks like this guy.

albano
07/04/2014, 09:39 PM
It looks like this guy.

Pylei (Cebu Pylei ?) and can be aggressive, I don't recommend keeping the Pylei, but blue sided can also be aggressive ... Don't put 6 line back in.

reeferstace
07/04/2014, 10:11 PM
I suggest that you rehome the six-line. I also suggest that you read up on fish before you purchase them, not after. What about QT?

CoralsAddiction
07/05/2014, 02:02 AM
You should be able to keep 2 fairy wrasses in your 180. However, I don't recommend putting the 6 line back in. Good thing is 6 lines are cheap and if you have to rehome it it's not a big $ hit.
Another thing I would recommend is putting a leopard wrasse. Never had issues adding one with a fairy wrasse already present.

Gunsnroses
07/05/2014, 05:34 AM
I suggest that you rehome the six-line. I also suggest that you read up on fish before you purchase them, not after. What about QT?
The Sixline was a impulse buy at my LFS. Very active, very pretty. And all and all, very good fish.
But my LFS started to get more and more Wrasse in stock.
Most of them are very pretty fish.
My research on the fish come from Live Aquaria.
It states that the Sixline is aggressive and may fight with other Wrasse. So I kinda expected that, just hoped I would get lucky.
But since I didnt, I went looking for info on the Sunset.
It's branded as a peaceful wrasse that plays well with others.....Untill you read real world reviews by other aquarist.

Nina51
07/05/2014, 06:21 AM
It states that the Sixline is aggressive and may fight with other Wrasse. So I kinda expected that, just hoped I would get lucky.

never a good method for deciding on tank inhabitants.

there is a sticky in the "new to hobby" forum where snorvich can advise you about compatibility and if you may or may not have issues. i never add another fish without asking there. steve is awesome!!

Gunsnroses
07/05/2014, 08:04 AM
never a good method for deciding on tank inhabitants
Probably not, but I had read many success stories on here so I thought I would give the little guy a chance.

eatbreakfast
07/05/2014, 12:21 PM
Sixlines are pretty aggressive, and when they are well behaved, they are a ticking time bomb. The pylei wrasse has a mxed reputation, My experiences have been fine with other wrasses, but others have had aggression issues. I have also not had an issue with aggression from the blue sided fairy either.

jenjen
07/05/2014, 01:15 PM
I've had 2 sixlines. Both have been well behaved. Both of them have kept to themselves, scanning the reef for food every waking moment. That said, I would never chance mixing a sixline with another wrasse, and I don't add any fish that will have to try and compete with it for food (ie: mandarin). Mine also snipes food from any coral that it can, so I cover any corals that I want to spot feed and I rehomed a BTA for this reason.

They're beautiful, active fish but if you keep one in your system it does add some limitations that you would be wise to adhere to rather than 'hoping for the best'.

Good luck!

Gunsnroses
07/06/2014, 11:55 AM
I took the Sixline back to the fish store and swapped it for some Blue/Green Chromis. Got 5 of them. I also picked up a Banded Serpent Star.
I really like the Chromis. They are very active and have brought a whole new look to my tank.
Since they are active, now all my other fish are active.
It's so peaceful to watch now.
Nothing against the Sixline. I'm sure he was just acting instinctively. But this ordeal has brought new life to my tank.

albano
07/06/2014, 01:23 PM
I took the Sixline back to the fish store and swapped it for some Blue/Green Chromis. Got 5 of them...

Good luck with the chromis... the usual problem with a group of them, is that they will kill each other off, till there is only 1 left

Gunsnroses
07/06/2014, 03:34 PM
Good luck with the chromis... the usual problem with a group of them, is that they will kill each other off, till there is only 1 left
I read that it could be an issue. But loosing my Sixline, all my fish have the yellow/orange/red tone going on.
Lyretail Anthia
Firefish
Ocellaris Clowns
Skunk Shrimp
Sunset Wrasse
Midas Blenny
Diamond Goby
Royal Gramma (does have a little purple)

So the addition of the Chromis was a cheap way of adding some blueish color untill my Blue Side Wrasse gets here.
I can say this, the addition of the Chromis have brought a new life to my tank. My fish usually just hang out in there respectable spots. Now they ALL are swimming around everywhere mingled in with the Chromis. It's pretty awesome.
If some die off, I will replace them with another.

albano
07/06/2014, 04:03 PM
If some die off, I will replace them with another.
Hopefully, they do good, but if they start killing each other, don't bother replacing them, unless you remove the 'killers'

Gunsnroses
07/06/2014, 04:30 PM
Fingers crossed.