PDA

View Full Version : HELP! What is this thing?

Tuffloud1
07/05/2014, 03:36 AM
I just noticed this tiny little guy in my refugium. Is this a pest anemone? Please help me identify so I can take action.

ironwill723
07/05/2014, 03:45 AM
aiptasia anemone

ReeferKimberly
07/05/2014, 03:45 AM
aiptasia

Tuffloud1
07/05/2014, 04:02 AM
Thanks, I just took that entire egg crate with him on it and tossed it.

Tweaked
07/05/2014, 04:47 AM
:thumbsup:

droth335
07/05/2014, 05:25 AM
No need to toss the egg crate. Just remove it, kill it (let it dry out if you want) then it is good to go.

Tuffloud1
07/05/2014, 11:05 AM
No need to toss the egg crate. Just remove it, kill it (let it dry out if you want) then it is good to go.

How likely is it that I have a serious problem on my hands? I am extremely meticulous, I have dipped all my corals from the beginning, have my own RO/DI system, mix my own salt, started the tank 4 months ago with dry rock.

I don't know hth I got this thing. If I removed this tiny one, how likely is it that I have a bunch elsewhere? Is their size relative to their splitting/multiplying? This one was tiny. Maybe cells from one hitchhiked on a crab or snail I put in my tank?

Xavibear
07/05/2014, 02:56 PM
Calm down, take a deep breath & deal with them as you see them.

bfin3
07/05/2014, 03:01 PM
If it develops into a real problem there are bergia nudibranchs available on divers den and in some lfs that will eradicate aiptasia.If you just have a couple though you should be able to remove them manually.

outssider
07/05/2014, 03:23 PM
If I removed this tiny one, how likely is it that I have a bunch elsewhere?

Always keep your eye's out for more. It is unlikely that's the only one, your tank is new so you should be able to stay ahead of the situation. If there are more and they are extremely tiny, it may take a long time for them to get large enough to see.

Crooked Reef
07/05/2014, 08:46 PM
If it's in your refugium and not display put a couple of peppermint shrimp in there and don't feed them for a few days. They will get hungry enough and hunt them down. If theyigraye to your display you will have to consider the pros and cons of peppermints. Berghais are great as well but can be really expensive depending on how many you need. Also I wouldn't even attempt berghai until you are sure you have an issue. They only eat aiptasia, not mojanos or other pests. If you just have a couple of small aiptasia you will spend 10 to 15 a pop for racha berghai that will starve after they eat what you have.

bfin3
07/08/2014, 12:21 AM
If it's in your refugium and not display put a couple of peppermint shrimp in there and don't feed them for a few days. They will get hungry enough and hunt them down. If theyigraye to your display you will have to consider the pros and cons of peppermints. Berghais are great as well but can be really expensive depending on how many you need. Also I wouldn't even attempt berghai until you are sure you have an issue. They only eat aiptasia, not mojanos or other pests. If you just have a couple of small aiptasia you will spend 10 to 15 a pop for racha berghai that will starve after they eat what you have.

Very true but they are way cheaper than peppermints killing a clam....Don't ask me why this comes to mind first.....Also you can often sell them once they've done their job. As you and I have both said though, they are really for serious infestations