PDA

View Full Version : Sexy Shrimp Group.

Daniel.DWUW
07/06/2014, 02:46 PM
Once my tank has been set up and cycled etc, I want to eventually have a Mini Maxi garden with a group of sexy shrimp. Now I want a fairly large group of them and I've read that people keep them in groups of 3-5 in 10 gallons. my tank is a 33 gallon, how many sexy shrimps could I keep in this tank without them looking to over the top?
Also would a group of sexy shrimp be fine with 1 skunk cleaner shrimp?

Moort82
07/06/2014, 03:25 PM
In my experience they don't tend to really group too much. Yes they are fine in each others company but given space they will spread out more, especially if you have the space, so you'd likely need a far few to make it look full.

Should be fine with a cleaner shrimp but they might be more intimidated by them.

Calappidae
07/06/2014, 04:29 PM
I have a single sexy shrimp in my large 125 reef living with 1 of every cleaner shrimp (fire, scarlet, peppermint) and a camel shrimp as well as a generally harmless pair of harlequin shrimp. No problems.

When I had more they were always by each other on the same ricordea.

But anyway, I don't know how many you want.. you can put as many as you want but they may look better a bit more spread out in fewer numbers like the OP said.

That is going to be one sexy tank! :D

Betta132
07/07/2014, 10:45 PM
Scarlets can be kind of not nice... I had one kill a peppermint shrimp, and sexy shrimp are much smaller.

And as for how many... I'd say you start with 10-15 and slowly add more until it looks good to you. Different people have different tastes when it comes to how full a tank should be, visually.

swk
07/11/2014, 10:59 AM
Don't do it if you plan on keeping any of the birdsnest corals. They like to munch on their polyps

Calappidae
07/11/2014, 07:47 PM
Don't do it if you plan on keeping any of the birdsnest corals. They like to munch on their polyps

Opposite experience here :jester:

My single sexy shrimp and birdnest get along better than the crab hosting the coral.

swk
07/11/2014, 08:10 PM
Opposite experience here :jester:

My single sexy shrimp and birdnest get along better than the crab hosting the coral.

That's good to hear. A few guys in my local reef club are not able to keep the 2 together without the coral polyps being snacked upon

m0nkie
07/14/2014, 05:09 PM
I got 4 sexy shrimp and 2 cleaners in my 100 gallon. They are perfectly fine. However, I don't see the sexy shrimps group up. 2 of them hangs on one side of tank, the other 2 hangs on another..

saw them hanging on my zoas.. my cloved polyps retracted for 2 days now. not sure if they are the culprit. But chances are high...

fun shrimp! but I have to really look for them in order to see them