PDA

View Full Version : Osmolator Question

Itchy Trigger
07/06/2014, 04:03 PM
Hi. I'm looking to install an ATO system on my 75g reef, running without a sump. My RODI water reservoir is down the hall in a separate room from the tank, so I'd need something with a pump that could send water through approximately 30 ft. of tubing and then up a 5 ft. lift to the top of the tank. I'd like something with a sensor as minimalistic as possible, since I already have several hang-on pieces of equipment (skimmer, reactor, etc.), so the Osmolator is appealing for that reason - looks like it attaches magnetically and is very compact inside the tank. My question is, would the pump that comes with the unit be strong enough for this job? As I mentioned, the water would need to be pushed through about 30 ft. of tubing, going around corners, along baseboard and then up 5 ft. to the rim of the tank. Thanks in advance... :fish1:

rvitko
07/07/2014, 11:27 AM
While this could be done, it adds complexity and head aches so I would try to disuade you from doing it. The pump can handle 8ft of head, the horizontal run is not a huge problem except the pump uses metric tubing and roughly 32ft (10meters) is the longest length of hose we sell. The wiring to the pump will also need to be extended and priming the pump and dealing with an additional wiring splice can add future headaches. Also, the final safety is reservoir volume and everything is much simpler and safer if you stick to a 5-10 gallon reservoir under the tank.

Itchy Trigger
07/07/2014, 02:10 PM
Thanks, Roger. I'll see if I can figure out a way to get a 10g container under or near the tank then.