PDA

View Full Version : Centerpiece fish suggestions

VoiceInTheDeser
07/07/2014, 02:27 PM
I'm upgrading my lps/zoa reef to a 40b and I'm looking for something fun to add. Right now, I have two ocellaris clowns and a target mandarin (trained on mysis).

I've heard that valentini puffers are peaceful and largely reef safe for lps, but being a puffer makes me nervous. Any opinions in them or another suggestion are welcome.

Dmorty217
07/07/2014, 02:35 PM
There are plenty of wrasse out there that would be a "centerpiece" in a tank

Marshall O
07/08/2014, 10:45 AM
There are plenty of wrasse out there that would be a "centerpiece" in a tank

But not many suitable for a 40 :/

I would stick with another small fish (or two at the most) personally. Think nano fish, such as Assessors, Royal Gramma, Possum Wrasses, Pink-Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia), an Escenius Blenny (Tailspot and Midas are two of my favorites), Basslet (I love the Swissgaurd), etc.

Dmorty217
07/08/2014, 01:27 PM
But not many suitable for a 40 :/

I would stick with another small fish (or two at the most) personally. Think nano fish, such as Assessors, Royal Gramma, Possum Wrasses, Pink-Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia), an Escenius Blenny (Tailspot and Midas are two of my favorites), Basslet (I love the Swissgaurd), etc.

Haha yes looking at it on my phone yesterday I thought I read 400, not 40b

CoralsAddiction
07/08/2014, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't do possum wrasse. They hide and swim within rock work. I think sm/med size mystery wrasse should be ok though.

sreefs
07/08/2014, 08:15 PM
Mystery wrasses get large, way to big for a 40. They also get fairly aggressive. They are a beautiful fish.

ocellaris123
07/08/2014, 08:46 PM
Royal gramma would make a nice addition to your tank

CoralsAddiction
07/08/2014, 09:46 PM
Royal gramma would make a nice addition to your tank

Definitely nice fish but having kept a 40 gallon aquarium prior to my current tank I wouldn't make it my "centerpiece" fish because it's still a nano fish and does not swim around the tank like wrasses do.

CoralsAddiction
07/08/2014, 09:49 PM
Consider two spot hogfish, also called yellow candy hogfish. Very nice fish.

Squared
07/08/2014, 09:58 PM
Have you given thought to a dwarf angel? In a nano they make great center piece fish that are always front and center.

I also recommend a Midas blenny, they are great fish that your eyes are easily drawn to. They way they swim can quite hypnotic :)

I don't see way you can't keep a single small fairy or flasher wrasse, as long as it's not one of the larger more aggressive ones.

ocellaris123
07/08/2014, 10:15 PM
Definitely nice fish but having kept a 40 gallon aquarium prior to my current tank I wouldn't make it my "centerpiece" fish because it's still a nano fish and does not swim around the tank like wrasses do.

I can see your point but a 40 breeder does not give much room for swimmers.

VoiceInTheDeser
07/09/2014, 03:24 PM
I hadn't seen a hogfish before, that's cool. I had been toying with a few wrasse ideas while browsing liveaquaria. Is a 3' tank too small for a carpenter wrasse?

CoralsAddiction
07/09/2014, 06:51 PM
I kept the yellow candy hogfish in 3ft 40 breeder with no issues. You can also try Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse. It's a smaller fairy wrasse suitable for your tank.

Marshall O
07/11/2014, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't do possum wrasse. They hide and swim within rock work. I think sm/med size mystery wrasse should be ok though.

I have one in my 50 cube. While it is by no means a "centerpiece" fish, they are fun to watch going in and out of the rockwork hunting for pods. At least I think so anyways.

CoralsAddiction
07/11/2014, 07:59 PM
I have one in my 50 cube. While it is by no means a "centerpiece" fish, they are fun to watch going in and out of the rockwork hunting for pods. At least I think so anyways.

I had a pair of Tanaka's Pygmy wrasses in my 60. Only saw them out in the open during feeding. Rest of the time they swam in the rock.

lhm nole
07/11/2014, 08:13 PM
Consider two spot hogfish, also called yellow candy hogfish. Very nice fish.
And good luck adding any fish afterwards especially wrasses

CoralsAddiction
07/11/2014, 09:06 PM
And good luck adding any fish afterwards especially wrasses

How many wrasses or other fish can you add in a 40 with OPs current livestock anyway?

Tzwizzle
07/12/2014, 10:08 AM
A gold assessor basset would be perfect imo. If you have a lid a firefish or 3 would be sweet

wrott
07/12/2014, 11:57 AM
I'd go w/ the puffer, and a blue/green chromis would look nice w/ maybe a pajama cardinal.