PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer going nuts ( stress coat )

Dozer1one
07/07/2014, 05:09 PM
Ok.... Long story short,
Yellow tang died.... Old age I guess 10 yrs????
Couldn't find him for a week eventually he got blown up by the mp10, ammonia spiked to around .50 ppm.... Didn't have any prime,performed water Change 30 gal went to lfs to purchase prime they didn't have any either, sooooooooo...... I got stress coat + ........ AaaaaAhhhhhh😳🔫 it's now been a week and I've done 3 30 gallon water changes and the skimmer still goes nut, on the lowest setting it still overflows.... Any ideas, and below is the params and equip list, thanks in advance and for the record I knew better when I put this crap in but the demon on the other shoulder said " just dose it "

92 gal display
30 gal sump with macro
Reef octopus nw 110 skimmer
Phosphate reactor MR1 series

Ammonia was .50 ppm now 0
Nitrates 0
Po4 0
Ph 8.2
Kh 9.3 dkh
Cal 480

Dozer1one
07/07/2014, 05:11 PM
Also I was running carbon in a mesh bag placed in filter sock during this whole ordeal 3 days prior to dosing the stress coat and I just removed it yesterday

AcroporAddict
07/07/2014, 05:17 PM
Turn the skimmer off, do more water changes, and wait a few days. Your larger than normal water changes are doing what your skimmer does. Your water will settle down. Meanwhile get all the tang meat out of the tank you can find, if you haven't already done this.

You could also raise your skimmer up in the sump some to see if that helps. The skimmer pump has to work harder to maintain the same water level the lower the sump level.

Dozer1one
07/07/2014, 05:29 PM
Ok I'll try raising it up right now. Everything else you mentioned is already done, thank you for the input. Is there anything else anyone could think of, should I put fresh carbon in?

Bigfish246
07/08/2014, 07:30 AM
Short of draining ALL the water and rinsing everything off, not much you can do. I would not stress it much, excuse the pun, just change the water out based on the bio load and let er ride.

wildman926
07/08/2014, 08:10 AM
Let the skimmer do it's job, and remove what "IT" sees in the tank. Replenish with sw as necessary, and let it drain to a large container. It will eventually settle down.

Spiffy
07/08/2014, 09:57 AM
Turn the skimmer off, do more water changes, and wait a few days. Your larger than normal water changes are doing what your skimmer does. Your water will settle down. Meanwhile get all the tang meat out of the tank you can find, if you haven't already done this.

You could also raise your skimmer up in the sump some to see if that helps. The skimmer pump has to work harder to maintain the same water level the lower the sump level.

Raising the skimmer up definitely helps.

Astrotank
07/08/2014, 11:05 AM
I had the exact same issue after using Red Slime Remover. After 3 weeks of large weekly water changes I noticed that my Monti Caps were receding so I stopped and modified the skimmer slightly. I just put a piece of fine plastic mesh attached to the intake of the skimmer pump in my sump using a rubber band. Next I reduced the air intake by inserting a smaller diameter piece of tubing inside the existing tube securing it by using gorilla tape. By reducing the flow of the pump and air intake you should be able to get it dialed down. I am, however assuming you have an in-sump skimmer.

Kaman8
07/08/2014, 01:16 PM
Stress coat will make you skimmer go nuts. I had the same issue before. I took the whole skimmer out and soak it in vinegar for 1 day and then rinse it with hot water and the skimmer was working normally again. I never used stress coat again. Prime will not make your skimmer go nuts.

jthomps123
07/08/2014, 02:47 PM
Let the skimmer do it's job, and remove what "IT" sees in the tank. Replenish with sw as necessary, and let it drain to a large container. It will eventually settle down.

This is the path i'd take. Replenish what the skimmer removes, consider a big water change.