PDA

View Full Version : Amino Acids

JDuong916
07/08/2014, 12:20 AM
Do amino acids like Acropower produce nitrates, phosphates, ammonia and all the other bad stuff that comes with coral food products such as Coralfrenzy and Oyster Feast. I started using Oyster Feast and Coralfrenzy every three days or so and I had an algae explosion. The corals seem to love the stuff the food, but I can do without the dirty glass and sandbed.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/08/2014, 05:27 AM
Amino acids will produce nitrate when metabolized. Every amino acid contains at least one nitrogen atom.

Assuming they are adequately pure, they will not add any phosphate. But I do not know what purity is usually used, and simple hydrolyzed protein will contain phosphate.

Spiffy
07/08/2014, 04:38 PM
You could use it s a reason to buy more snails to combat the algae boom.

JDuong916
07/09/2014, 12:10 AM
is the amount of nitrate produced very minimal compared to products such as oyster feast

triggreef
07/09/2014, 01:12 AM
Benn using acropower last couple months. I haven't noticed any miracles but my glass needs to be clean at least twice as often.

I plan to change up to red sea additives& see if anything happens.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/09/2014, 04:41 AM
I couldn't say how different products compare because the concentrations are hard or impossible to know, but on the basis of the food potential in each, they are probably similar. Amine acids would be one of the main sources of N in any food. Another is DNA and there certainly are others, but I expect amino acids in proteins dominate.

JDuong916
07/09/2014, 04:41 PM
Benn using acropower last couple months. I haven't noticed any miracles but my glass needs to be clean at least twice as often.

I plan to change up to red sea additives& see if anything happens.

Are you dosing the recommended amount? I'm hoping this stuff works, but I'm starting to think fish poop and light may be the best coral food.

JWClark
07/09/2014, 05:34 PM
I couldn't say how different products compare because the concentrations are hard or impossible to know, but on the basis of the food potential in each, they are probably similar. Amine acids would be one of the main sources of N in any food. Another is DNA and there certainly are others, but I expect amino acids in proteins dominate.

Of course, if DNA were a component, phosphates would be added as well. Same w/ any of the energy transfer molecules--ATP, ADP, GDP etc. I assume these are not additives to any of these foods though.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/09/2014, 05:42 PM
Of course, if DNA were a component, phosphates would be added as well. Same w/ any of the energy transfer molecules--ATP, ADP, GDP etc. I assume these are not additives to any of these foods though.

The reason I brought it up is because they are present.

DNA (and RNA, phospholipids, phosphorylated proteins, etc.) is a component in any food that contains tissues of organisms, such as the mentioned Oyster Feast or Coral Frenzy:

"Oyster-FeastŪ is a mix of both oyster eggs and ovarian tissue (1-200 microns). "
http://reefnutrition.com/oyster_feast.php

CORAL FRENZY CONTAINS: Fish Protein, Oyster Larvae, Salmon Roe, Dunaliella salina, Schizochytrium, Rotifers, Copepods, Daphnia, Spirulina, & Haematococcus Pluvialis.
http://www.coralfrenzy.com/products-coral-frenzy.html