PDA

View Full Version : Full cycled dry rock available to purchase?

brad65ford
07/08/2014, 06:39 PM
To have fully cycled dry rock with coralline algae covering most of the rock with out any bad critters sounds like a dream. But seriously there is a lot of choices available for purchase on line including dry rock, live rock (from the sea) and also others. But is there dry rock that has been fully cycled with out any bad critters available for purchase?

In the past i have purchased dry rock and also real reef rock from either the Florida Gulf or Fiji like rock. The results imo favor the real rock since the tanks cycle a heck of a lot faster (month versus 1/2 a year) and also bio diversity / bacteria seems to always give great coral live. Dry rock is excellent for not having the nuisance algae and also bad hick hikers etc.., but its really does take awhile for the rocks to cycle and will hinder sps growth if only using dry rock.

Does anyone know if there is such a product out there that has already been cycled, looks good, and no hick hikers?

reepher315
07/08/2014, 06:45 PM
My LFS has live rock for sale lots of coraline. But I started my tank with a live rock from that location and of course had aiptasia. Also a snail hitched along. Its too hard to determine if any hitch hikers present thats why people cure the rocks.

brad65ford
07/08/2014, 06:56 PM
Most LFS have these type of cycled rock and imo its always ugly lol. Just wondering if there is any companies taking their "dry rock" product and cycling it to achieve the best cured rock with out pest. I know i'd pay for it if there was such a thing.

maddmaxx
07/08/2014, 07:20 PM
To have fully cycled dry rock with coralline algae covering most of the rock with out any bad critters sounds like a dream. But seriously there is a lot of choices available for purchase on line including dry rock, live rock (from the sea) and also others. But is there dry rock that has been fully cycled with out any bad critters available for purchase?

In the past i have purchased dry rock and also real reef rock from either the Florida Gulf or Fiji like rock. The results imo favor the real rock since the tanks cycle a heck of a lot faster (month versus 1/2 a year) and also bio diversity / bacteria seems to always give great coral live. Dry rock is excellent for not having the nuisance algae and also bad hick hikers etc.., but its really does take awhile for the rocks to cycle and will hinder sps growth if only using dry rock.

Does anyone know if there is such a product out there that has already been cycled, looks good, and no hick hikers?

well usually when dry rock is cycled. its now "live" rock...not cured dry rock.... and i seen you say it takes half a yr to cure dry rock, im goin to guess you mean cure all the way thru the rock, cause any dry rock can cure in 4-6 weeks and be able to process a small bioload...

brad65ford
07/08/2014, 07:23 PM
well usually when dry rock is cycled. its now "live" rock...not cured dry rock.... and i seen you say it takes half a yr to cure dry rock, im goin to guess you mean cure all the way thru the rock, cause any dry rock can cure in 4-6 weeks and be able to process a small bioload...

not for sps's, one would do much better with at least 4-5 months of curing dry rock. For softies or lps such 1 month or so if fine.

brad65ford
07/12/2014, 04:30 PM
Well found what i was looking for just not sure the results from user though. Not even sure how to get this stuff either. Both of the email addresses do not work when sending them an email. Anyone know more about the reef rock 2.1?
https://www.facebook.com/reefproject2.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIZ-ciIQdGE

4reason
07/14/2014, 11:49 AM
Reefrock is a manmade rock by Walt Smith International. The 2.0 version is placed in the ocean for several months to seed it. The 2.1 is just the dry version. If you're looking to avoid hitchhikers and want "live" rock then this isn't what you want. Check out real reef rock, manmade and seeded in closed systems to avoid hitchhikers. Downside is arguably less biodiversity both at the micro and macro level. Just depends what you want. I think reefrock is supposed to roll out in the fall. Hope this helps.

fairladyZ
07/14/2014, 12:40 PM
Look into caribsea life rock. It's dryrock that is painted to look like coralline and then sprayed with a spored bacteria that becomes active once it gets wet.

shesacharmer
07/14/2014, 01:43 PM
I'm just getting Florida Reef Rock base rock and adding one live rock to it from my other tank since I know that rock is pest free. So, it's not purple yet...I can live with it for no cycling.

http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=3&categorylayout=0&Itemid=393