PDA

View Full Version : Wild tank algae but water quality is great

DHolbrook
07/08/2014, 06:56 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been keeping a very close eye on my water parameters because my hammer coral got spooked in shipping and I'm trying to nurse it back. Anyway, my algae is out of control and my clean up crew seems helpless. I have a hob filter which I keep very clean and change filter monthly. How do I clean this up? I already siphon and vacuum the algae two to three times a week with about 50 percent w/c weekly. Thanks for your help.

20 gal long tank
Clean Hob filter
4 t5 lights
Two clowns
Two shrimp
One hammer coral
Snails from reef cleaners

DHolbrook
07/08/2014, 06:58 PM
Photo

Spiffy
07/08/2014, 06:59 PM
What do you have for your clean up crew?

DHolbrook
07/08/2014, 07:01 PM
Green hair

DHolbrook
07/08/2014, 07:02 PM
Lots of this brown type on sand

maddmaxx
07/08/2014, 07:02 PM
could be several things...

are you using RO/DI water for top off and water changes?
how long ago was this tank set up?
how old are the bulbs your using for the T5s?
where did the live rock come from?

also keep in mind if the algae is consuming the phos that quickly to grow that rapidly, then phos will most always show up as 0 on a test kit...

DHolbrook
07/08/2014, 07:04 PM
Temp is 77
Ph 8.0
Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite are 0
I don't have a phosphate test but my lfs measured .25

DHolbrook
07/08/2014, 07:07 PM
Tank is 11 months old as are the bulbs (all new setup).
I use distilled water for top offs, rodi and instant ocean reef crystal for w/c
Salinity 1.025

DHolbrook
07/08/2014, 07:09 PM
Live sand cafe from the wet bags from my lfs: sugar sand size. Rock was dry dead rock from my lfs and tank cycled for 8 weeks. Algae is only problem the last month.

maddmaxx
07/08/2014, 07:10 PM
well T5 bulbs should be replaced in theory every 6 months.. i would start using RO/DI for top off as well.

DHolbrook
07/08/2014, 07:11 PM
Clean up crew is basic beginner kit for 20 long from reef cleaners. Ill post exactly in a bit.

maddmaxx
07/08/2014, 07:13 PM
Tank is 11 months old as are the bulbs (all new setup).
I use distilled water for top offs, rodi and instant ocean reef crystal for w/c
Salinity 1.025

are you making this RO/DI or getting it from a pet shop?

maddmaxx
07/08/2014, 07:13 PM
Clean up crew is basic beginner kit for 20 long from reef cleaners. Ill post exactly in a bit.

no real need to post the list, reef cleaners usually always give extra. so im sure your good on the CUC...

DHolbrook
07/08/2014, 07:18 PM
Picked out dry dead rock from lfs. Some type of reef saver variety. It cycled great and went through various smaller algae booms, then calmed down for a while, then algae just took off! My rocks had cool bright green and purple coloring, but now it all brown!

DHolbrook
07/08/2014, 07:24 PM
Rodi comes from lfs and sometimes I buy their salt water from their system. My water levels are very stabilized as I don't over feed or have a huge bio load. Lfs is a coral speciality store only. I trust their credentials and experience emphatically. They are SPS Coral Store in la canada, ca.

DHolbrook
07/08/2014, 08:38 PM
I'll try new lights and rodi only....

Xavibear
07/09/2014, 12:28 PM
What kind of hob filter are you running? Filter pads can become nitrate factories. You should be cleaning much more often than once a month, more like every couple of days.

Mhay
07/09/2014, 03:18 PM
How do you come to the conclusion your water quality is great with a phosphate level that high? The brown is probably diatoms, which will go away with time or you can siphon out frequently, which is a pain.
Your phosphate levels are probably much higher so I would recommend running GFO right away to help bring that down.
It could be leeching from your rock. Keep up with changing the GFO regularly and my guess is you would be good to go.

maddmaxx
07/09/2014, 03:29 PM
How do you come to the conclusion your water quality is great with a phosphate level that high? The brown is probably diatoms, which will go away with time or you can siphon out frequently, which is a pain.
Your phosphate levels are probably much higher so I would recommend running GFO right away to help bring that down.
It could be leeching from your rock. Keep up with changing the GFO regularly and my guess is you would be good to go.

thats exactly why i was asking about the back story of the rock. i figured it was leeching back into the tank...

ReeferSutherlnd
07/09/2014, 04:34 PM
Yea it's the top off water and the bulbs. Good luck

DHolbrook
07/09/2014, 05:46 PM
We'll I got bulbs and did 25 percent water change. Tomorrow at the store I'll get GFO and use it. I don't know why none of my test kits have a test for phosphates, but I look for one too. Thanks for the help!

Mhay
07/09/2014, 06:24 PM
Do you have a reactor for the GFO?

DHolbrook
07/09/2014, 09:43 PM
I was looking to buy one from my lfs or one from dr.foster's or somewhere. Any recommendation for my small setup? Quality and simplicity are important to me.

Reefer54
07/09/2014, 10:02 PM
i agree with the lights and definitely the ro\di water. but lets not forget feeding schedule. Those phos are coming from somewhere.

DHolbrook
07/09/2014, 10:31 PM
Yeah I think I need to get back to basics again. I feed about two pinches of the tiny hikari marine s twice a day, but I don't know if this food I'd high in unwanted nutrients?

whosurcaddie
07/09/2014, 11:07 PM
BRS has a nice reactor inexpensive as well.http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-reactor-single-1.html

apexkeeper
07/09/2014, 11:28 PM
If the LFS tested the phosphate, in my experience they almost always use the cheapest kits they can find (API). The API phosphate test kit is useless since it starts at .25... A reading of .25 could really be anything from 0 to .50... absolutely pointless test.

I would get a second opinion on the phosphate level before going nuts about that.

krakenster
07/10/2014, 02:09 AM
the high growth of algae is taking away the phos, I suspect your actual level is higher.

DHolbrook
07/10/2014, 08:10 AM
I have a lot to do now! I think my lfs uses Red Sea test kits but still the point about phosphate being higher so the algae can feed off it was something I didn't consider. I ordered the reactor from BRS so thanks for the recommendation. Thanks again for all the help! With new bulbs, and the reactor on the way, my tank is getting a tune up. The only downside is that my clowns love the hair algae and have become quite possessive of it! I hope they don't take it personal :) .

YoungREEFA
07/10/2014, 08:22 AM
Get the two little fishies phosban reactor and a small MJ pump. I also wouldnt trust your LFS water as when i first started out a while back i used my local stores water as well. They claimed it was pure and clean, but it was ridden with TDS. A TDS meter will allow you to see how well kept your LFS's water is.

ryan_facc
07/10/2014, 12:23 PM
Might be the month of filter building nitrates, what media in it, try the gfo and put floss in filter only, change once a week, I'm trying phosguard chemipure and purigen for similar problem, they can apparently be left for a month plus

coryclay
07/10/2014, 04:51 PM
I know none of you will believe me but I ordered 10# of Garf grunge for my 90 gallon. And within one month 90% of my algae was gone. I have pictures to prove it. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it. This was after a move from a 50 gal to the 90 gal.

JReefaddict
07/10/2014, 07:48 PM
I've been having the same issue with my 57 reef. Tank is 2.5 years old and after the cycle the algae was pretty much under control and then recently I've been having algae outbreaks. Stumps me. I'm one by one trying to figure out what it is

habavonc
07/11/2014, 01:15 AM
I use the same store for getting the saltwater and I have the exact same problem 8 g nano weakly water change 2g brown algae on sand rock and even glass

DHolbrook
07/11/2014, 08:44 AM
Yikes really? Maybe a coincidence, or maybe they have issues. Their own tanks seem so crystal clear though! Then I'm going rodi only and will mix my own salt .

Mysticalknight
07/11/2014, 08:13 PM
Also what and how often are you feeding the fish? A lot of people over feed their fish accidentally

blackcell
07/11/2014, 08:55 PM
Hi, I suggesting using a powerful uv for algae issues. Try to build a algae scrubber for long term. Cleaning crew doesn't really help much.. So water change weekly basis is a must..

blackcell
07/11/2014, 09:07 PM
Lastly, good skimmer is also important.. The reactor is no use if the basic marine equipment is not there.... Is best that you restart your setup, cured your live rock, clean and keep 50% of your water.... The looks of the tank, you didn't really do proper maintenance like siphon the sand debris therefore the brown algae.. Your water flow is also important if you don't regularly siphon.. Redsea has a po4/no3 reducer that is great to reduce brown algae. Best of luck..

Tonyreefer
07/17/2014, 12:49 PM
I have been fighting the same problem and what I can't figure out why my 100 gallon sump has no hair algae in it ! I have a kessil 150 w from my old planted tank