PDA

View Full Version : What about Flo?

shesacharmer
07/09/2014, 06:33 AM
My question is how do you choose to run your non-adjustable powerheads? I have two Hydor Koralia 1500's in my 75 gal. They are not adjustable for speed but I have the matching controller which allows them both to be on at the same time or alternating at a set time schedule which varies wildly from 5 seconds to six hours and many increments in between.

My pump inlet puts out something less than 1000 gallons per hour as there is about a 4 foot rise to the outlet. This seems like a great deal of flow in a 75 gal so I constantly question what the best settings are...I'm guessing my coral will dictate that in the end...but I'm not at the end I'm at the beginning.

How do you run your pumps for your tank?

billdogg
07/09/2014, 06:39 AM
I use an eheim 1262 as my return pump (w/diy manifold running carbon & gfo reactors) and also have 4 koralia 1150gph's for my 120. I have one low and one higher up on each side, set so that left low and high right are on at the same time for 15 minutes, then I switch so that high left and low right are on. It seems to work well for me.

The idea is to create alternating flow patterns so that there is no one area that gets no/low flow.

coralsnaked
07/09/2014, 06:56 AM
you are right the coral will dictate and what you left out of your post is what type of coral you are growing. Softies then definitly alternate and go with 2500 gph and that's way more than you need for them. probably too much. Softies ~ 10-15X your display gals. LPS ~ 20X and SPS 30+ X per display gals.