PDA

View Full Version : Alcyonium palmatus

Itchy Trigger
07/09/2014, 02:17 PM
I recently ordered some corals from Blue Zoo and gave in to the temptation to snag an Alcyonium palmatus "chili coral." I knew it was a non-photosynthetic coral and was prepared to have to feed it specifically, but wanted to post here to see if anyone has additional tips on keeping these healthy.

I've read a bit about them and see that they are often placed upside down in a cave. Mine is in my coral QT at the moment, but I do have a spot in mind for it in my DT when it's ready. I also read in a few places that these are much easier to care for than most other NPS, and that many people don't even spot feed theirs and they do ok... Is this really the case? The Blue Zoo website even called it a "Beginner" coral.

Mine is looking a bit droopy and no polyps are out. I've tried feeding it with BRS Reef Chili when the lights were out and a few polyps were extended, but not sure how much of it the coral actually took in. Any help would be appreciated!

Itchy Trigger
07/10/2014, 02:11 PM
Anyone?

noy
07/12/2014, 08:15 AM
Can't say I've ever kept one of these but I have kept the more common Nephthyigorgia sp. I have to say the picture (I think its from blue zoo) looks a lot like a nephthyigorgia. There is a thread on Azoox showing the difference between the 2.

From what I read/gathered - It still has to be fed and is non-photosynthetic. Unless you have a system that pumps a lot of food into the water column regularly you may have to target feed it. As for light sensitivity there are differing reports - but mostly on the nepthy species.

Itchy Trigger
07/12/2014, 04:42 PM
Ah ok. That may be it. I'll keep trying to feed it. Unfortunately the polyps never seem to be open.

Trichome
07/13/2014, 10:16 AM
I have seen chilli corals go dormant and not open up for extended periods of time. They like heavy flow.

Itchy Trigger
07/13/2014, 10:32 AM
Good to hear that. Will try to get a little more flow on him. Thank you.

Itchy Trigger
07/20/2014, 07:43 PM
Ok. Got more flow on him and he's as shaded as I can get him in my QT. Still looks like this. Is there any point in trying to feed when it looks like this? Anything else I can do? Or is it normal for it to stay dormant for a few weeks?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/21/ezu4ymeq.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/21/uqagezuh.jpg