PDA

View Full Version : How to get good growth with Radions?

sharko88
07/09/2014, 02:49 PM
I have had a set of Radion Gen 2's for about 8 months now and the growth of my coral is terrible. Considering that my water parameters are always perfect I think it is the lighting. The tank is 31" tall and I have the lights 14" off the water surface. Seem to get some bleaching when lights have an overall output of 50% so currently have then set to 45% but with a six week acclimation time, the lights have been hovering around 40% as of lately. Had extremely better growth with T5's and MH is the past when you compare to these things. Even the corals that are not bleaching are growing extremely slow. Do corals slow down growth at an intensity that may be considered too much but not enough to bleach them? Need some help here as I am being patient but losing patience as the months go on with these lights.

mikeatjac
07/09/2014, 05:11 PM
You will get better answers in the Ecotech sponsor area.

I run mine never going below 20k and peak at 85%. Lots of growth. Getting into lower kelvin levels is too much for my corals.

IMHO

nikon187
07/09/2014, 07:23 PM
31 inch tall tank and 14 inches off the water...sounds like not enough light. ecotech only rates them to 24 inch depth and should be more like 6 inches off the water line. No idea on intensity ( depending on corals tastes but 45% seems too low with how high they are off the water )

One tank at work which is 18 inches tall , radion gen 1, 6 inch off water line, 80% intensity has ALL RIGHT growth on the acros but have the best growth in out t5 tanks for sure.

sharko88
07/09/2014, 08:03 PM
I agree Nikon187, it does seem like it would be too low of light with how high the lights are mounted. However, when I put it up to 50%, one of my favites that is half way down the tank starts to bleach on the edges of the ridges, my krptonite candy cane start to get whiter on the tops, and I have a frog spawn that pretty much shrivels up (almost lost it twice and it now sits in the sand at the bottom). I have a torch coral that didn't do so well up in top 1/3 of the tank that has done a lot better on the bottom as well so that just adds to the mystery.

mikeatjac- I really hope I don't have to do 20K. It is too blue for my taste. I have it at 12K for about 4-5 hours during the day and have other points where it is 18K, 20K, and then just dark blue (lowering intensity to simulate sunrise and sunset). My total photo time (including the sunrise and sunset points) is 10 hours total. I will post in the Ecotech sponsor area though as you suggest. Maybe one of their reps will reply.