PDA

View Full Version : Purple shell-less snail

midnightpass
07/10/2014, 03:59 PM
Hi all. I'm doing a new cycle (though I have not detected ammonia, nitrite, nitrate as of yet) on a 8 gallon nuvo tank. It has pink Fiji sand and 10lbs of rock. The rock is of a questionable source. By that I mean I bought from someone selling allegedly cured live rock. However, upon seeing the holding tank, I determined that the rock was not likely live. It was nearly pure white sitting in stagnant saltwater which I was told is turned over once a week. For a buck a pound I figured hey I'm using it to cycle a new tank what's the difference.

Anyhow, the question is not so much a matter of the rock. I was shocked to find what appears to be a small (2-3mm) snail crawling on the rock today a couple weeks after introducing to my tank. I really assumed the rock was dead as could be. What dig his purple shell less snail? Should I capture it?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/11/8y8y7eha.jpg

midnightpass
07/11/2014, 11:57 AM
After closer inspection,and it's very hard to photograph, I think it may be a baby turbo snail. The shell is just tiny.

jrozzi
07/11/2014, 12:10 PM
can you get any other pics? I have a stomtella that color in my tank, and they just have a little shell on them

CleverD
07/11/2014, 12:49 PM
Might be a baby stomella snail???

SURForDIE
07/11/2014, 12:50 PM
Shield limpet maybe.... baby one

Ever see any white on it?

midnightpass
07/11/2014, 03:00 PM
I could not make out any white. Initial thought was stomella...but I've never seen a purple one. He's quick too. Moves along at a good pace and was out during the daytime. I'll try to snap a better pic. My thought was that I should capture it while there is nothing in the tank so it doesn't put a wrench in my reef plans just in case.

skimjim
07/11/2014, 06:32 PM
sea slug?

whiteshark
07/11/2014, 09:35 PM
I could not make out any white. Initial thought was stomella...but I've never seen a purple one. He's quick too. Moves along at a good pace and was out during the daytime. I'll try to snap a better pic. My thought was that I should capture it while there is nothing in the tank so it doesn't put a wrench in my reef plans just in case.

I've seen dark ones before. I had a couple jet black stomatellas. Can't say I've ever seen a purple one, but I'd still guess stomatella.

billdogg
07/12/2014, 06:40 AM
I vote for stomatella also. nice freebie!

midnightpass
07/12/2014, 07:31 AM
I'm going to take a gamble and leave him in the tank. Once it get gets a little bigger I should be able to see more clearly what it is. In all likelihood stomatella.

midnightpass
07/15/2014, 05:42 PM
Got a new pic. Little better. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/16/a7ubenag.jpg

KeystoneAq
07/16/2014, 01:18 PM
I say stomatella as well. I have a few in my tank, I think they are breeding as well. I have one adult that is a purple/grey color. Hasnt bothered any of my corals just picks at algae.

midnightpass
08/12/2014, 08:23 AM
Just wanted to close the loop on this post.

The snail grew fast and is clearly a jet black stomatella with purple back.

Secondly...at least in my case...the rock I bought was kept in an unheated/uncirculated holding tank and this critter survived for who knows how long. Also the bacteria was present in sufficient numbers to cycle my nano almost immediately. I never got an ammonia or nitrite reading. Only nitrate...and only after feeding the tank mysis for a few days.

Could be the Carib sea live sand helped...but I tend to think the rock was actually live despite the conditions.

Crooked Reef
08/12/2014, 08:49 AM
Life will find a way...

thenewguy997
08/12/2014, 12:21 PM
I vote nudibranch

I have bright orange ones just like this and thryre nudis

They eat my spiral worms so theyre o.k

I also think the caribsea is plausible i noticed a lot more creatures after adding it to my bare bottom tank