PDA

View Full Version : Volitan meets coral banded shrimp

mpderksen
07/10/2014, 10:37 PM
This picture is terrible, since I just grabbed my phone to catch it. My Volitan and Coral Banded shrimp we face to face. The shrimp was picking at the LionFish's mouth and gills like a cleaner. I thought it would end badly. They sat like this for several minutes. Neither was aggressive towards each other.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee380/mpderksen/73a9fb85aabf13741f8ef187d85625d7.jpg

PhaneSoul
07/10/2014, 11:37 PM
sweet! I love CBS's and one day id like a lionfish, they are just BA!

Docdiggy
07/11/2014, 06:48 AM
It won't last that long once the lion grows.

Indymann99
07/11/2014, 07:28 AM
If the Lion gets hungry.... the CBS will be dinner... A Lion will eat anything it "thinks" will go in its mouth (often things bigger that itself)...

mpderksen
07/11/2014, 07:58 AM
Yeah, I know. It's a temporary thing. In fact, he has filled out quite a bit in the last few months and has gone from eating the smallest goldfish I could buy (while I transitioned him to frozen) to where he now takes medium Silversides.
The smallest fish in the tank is a blue-green Chromis. If he disappears before my friend gets her tank up, which is the future home, then I have to look for other options. Even if I wanted to keep him, my 75 is no where big enough for him as an adult. And if it were, my stock list would be too limited for my liking. Most of the fish that can be kept with Volitans aren't reef safe. I had the chance to Foster one for 6 months, and he has been fun to have.
I was just amazed at the behavior. The fact that the CBS was "cleaning" his mouth and gills was something I just didn't expect.

HumbleFish
07/11/2014, 08:06 AM
CBS are technically "cleaner shrimp"; just not as prolific at it as Lysmata amboinensis.

But as you already know... that shrimp may be the lion's dentist today, dinner tomorrow. ;)

pmrossetti
07/11/2014, 10:40 AM
I think I read that goldfish are not good for them.

mpderksen
07/11/2014, 11:17 PM
I think I read that goldfish are not good for them.

Yep. Freshwater fish are like fast food. Too much fat for a saltwater carnivore. If you notice, I said, "while I transitioned him". it was for about 3 weeks.