PDA

View Full Version : sump design, general components.

calhoun.22
07/11/2014, 12:20 PM
Hello everyone, I am currently moving through this process with a 29gal BioCube. One thing I have been seriously considering is having a custom sump built. I have moved away from the idea of trying to put one in the current stand that came with the cube and am now leaning towards building a custom cabinet that more appropriately fits our home decor.

If I am going to build a custom stand I figure I might as well make it a bit bigger so I can accommodate a larger sump. I am currently thinking about something on the order of 20" wide by 20" long by 18" deep. I would likely run an average water level of 14". this would give me about 24 gallons, basically doubling my water volume.

Some of the things I would want in the sump are: a more appropriate protein skimmer, auto top off, live rock and possibly a refugium. I am not sold on the fuge.

I am also interested in various reactors that I have read about others using.

I currently have about 30lbs of live rock. Live stock includes 2 clowns (ocellaris) and a royal grama. Of course I also have the obligatory CUC as well. Further live stock undetermined but a goby and dartfish are on the short list along with a shrimp or two.

I want to add a lot of coral.

What would you consider vital components to the sump? I figure I can do three chambers, maybe four if necessary.

Input greatly appreciated.

raybyrne67
07/11/2014, 12:57 PM
I built my sump around my skimmer, making sure that the footprint would fit in one of the chambers and depth of the water was well within the height limit of the water level for the skimmer. It would also be ideal to have enough room for your ATO water container in the custom cabinet. IMO vital components would be a return pump, skimmer, heater x2, ATO, associated plumbing, ball valves, and baffles.

thegrun
07/11/2014, 01:13 PM
I used a Tunze 9002 skimmer when I had a 28 gallon tank; it has a very small footprint and is quiet. Consider having enough room in the cabinet for top off water or you will need a separate container outside the cabinet for fresh water storage. I like to size my ATO reservoir large enough to allow me a two week vacation, so you would need somewhere in the area of a 4.5-5 gallon reservoir. If you plan on keeping stony corals you may also end up needing a doser and a small amount of space for a two part reservoir and dosing pumps. There simply is never enough room in the cabinet once you start adding all the associated equipment, so if space permits make it a little bigger.

calhoun.22
07/11/2014, 02:15 PM
When it comes to live rock and the recommendation for approx 1 lb per gallon is that more related to the size of the display or over all water volume. Right now I am, as far as I know, fairly balanced. If I add 20-25 gallons of water to the system via a sump should I also consider adding 20-25 gallons of live rock to the sump?

I wouldn't mind taking a little rock out of the display but if I need to add 20 more lbs to the sump there wouldn't be much room. I also like the idea of having more live rock than the minimum because it seems, when reading through the volumes of info here on RC, that LR is one of the best methods of control and stability available.

thegrun
07/11/2014, 02:20 PM
The live rock is related to display tank size since that also dictates fish load. Having a large sump allows you an option to have a more open space in your DT by placing a lot of rock in your sump if you like a more open look.

calhoun.22
07/11/2014, 02:31 PM
The live rock is related to display tank size since that also dictates fish load. Having a large sump allows you an option to have a more open space in your DT by placing a lot of rock in your sump if you like a more open look.

Great, this is really good to know. Thank you.

I am also wondering about the location of the protein skimmer in the sump. It seems like most people have it in the first chamber and if I understand the mechanism correctly this makes sense.

In terms of chamber sizing, if the skimmer foot print is, say, 10" by 7" would a chamber 12" by 8" be big enough or should one add more free water space. I assume the skimmer should be the only thing in its chamber.

thegrun
07/11/2014, 02:50 PM
12" x 8" is fine. If you plan on using a filter sock it would also typically be placed it the first chamber with the skimmer. I also keep my heaters in the first section of the sump.

calhoun.22
07/11/2014, 03:05 PM
12" x 8" is fine. If you plan on using a filter sock it would also typically be placed it the first chamber with the skimmer. I also keep my heaters in the first section of the sump.

Again, thank you.